Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a 2001 GXE auto and still running strong with 172K Km. I always wanted to try one of Nissan's earlier more sporty cars and I saw 2 or them in our area which is very very rare occassion.

1) is a 1991 NX2000 with 285K on the odometer asking for $2500 for a private sale. There are some poor repaint work on both door handle area.

2) is a 1998 200SX SE-R with 220K on the odometer from a dealer. No listed price yet. I assume it uses timing chain, right?

I am steered to the 1998 SE-R since it is newer. I wonder what should I pay attention to when I inspect the car and what kind of price should be fair. Bearing in mind that our city is small and not that many of these car coming up, there will be premium on it. You can see tons of Civic but not a lot of higher performance Nissan.

Thanks.

·
200SX SE-R
241 Posts
It is up to you which to get, both have the sr20, so they will both will perform well. I would go with the se-r though, I have one and it is a solid car. You are right, the se-r does have a timing chain. When looking at the se-r, look for rust on the rear fenders (mine is terrible) and rust in the door jams (also like mine...). The price of mine with that rust and 171K was 1,500 from a private party. Look on KBB.com to see the price you should be looking for. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
200SX SE-R

I would say always look for the obvious such as rust and body damage or repair.

Next as far as 200SX SE-R specific I would make sure the car does not have
5th gear popout. Ask to do a compression check and make sure the motor is still strong. For higher mile SR20's make sure that there is no sludge buildup inside the valve cover (remove filler cap and look inside). There is a number of things to look at however everything is pretty easy to repair / replace with the exception of having to get a whole new motor and transmission.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts