Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at an 06 in Ottawa with 127K km on the clock. It looks clean and rust free enough, drives well. Everything works as far as I can tell. I'm going to have the dealer take it in to an independent garage for an inspection, but I was wondering if there's anything to look for.

I have also been looking at CR-Vs, but the Xtrails seem to be priced lower and have a better towing capacity. Are there any reliability problems with the CVT transmission and towing a <1500lb trailer about 6 times / year?

The reason I ask is that the one I'm looking at has a hitch, so it has higher mileage and it's been towing, and I'll need to do some towing myself.

The price on this one is pretty good ($13000) and it's a single owner vehicle coming off a lease.

Thanks,
Marcel

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just went through this in the past couple weeks.
1) There is no CVT in the Xtrail as far as I know, 4 speed auto, or 5 speed man.
2) Brakes. Xtrails appear to have touchy brakes and if not serviced regularly will eat pads and rotors. Make sure they are in good shape. The one I bought with 74K had to have new pads and rotors all around.
3) Check to see if the major services were done at 48K and 96K these require essentially all fluids to be replaced. If you can't verify, I would require it to be done prior to being bought with Nissan Spec fluid. Apparently Xtrails are sensitive to non nissan coolant.
4) If it is a 4wd - inquire if the diff fluid was changed every year. Most people who buy these are not hardcore 4wheelers and have no idea this even needs to be done.
5)Have the body inspected for damage and repairs.
6) Tires - mine has the stock tires on it. At 73K they are only 50% done. They could conceivably last a while. They are down right dangerous in sloppy snow.
7)Consider a newer one. I paid $16000 for my LE, less my trade in. But I have 28K left on the power train warrenty. What is that worth to you? I know similar milage SE and XE's here in Hamilton are closer to 14 or $15,000.

·
X-Trail Moderator
902 Posts
Hi,

Have the dealer confirm regular scheduled maintenance was performed.

Have them look at brakes; in Canadian weather, many owners have had premature wear problems with the rear brakes (they do require frequent, annual, cleaning and lubricating)

There was no CVT available in Canada for the X-Trail ???

If it is 4x4, have the dealer confirm that the rear differential oil has been replaced at least twice (prescribed maintenance would suggest this be done every 48 k km if my memory serves me right)

Be aware of known rust issues on body just above rear wheels and on rear hatch surrounding the handle area.

·
X-Trail Moderator
902 Posts
oops TBK,
I guess we were typing away at the same time :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
:) must have been channelling you.

My Xtrail manual says 12 months or 24000Km's for rear diff. 48K for transfer case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I had assumed that it was a CVT transmission because I'd read about it on other parts of the forum and the internet, but I guess the Canadian models don't necessarily have that.

This one doesn't have the rust. Another one I looked at last week did (05 w/ 98K km)

I'm getting them to do an inspection this afternoon, and have asked the shop to check the brakes for that issue.

I guess I could call the dealer that it came from and ask if they know if that servicing was done.

I could consider a lower mileage one, but I don't actually drive that much (10,000/yr) and the monthly payments on this one are much lower ($295/mo vs. $365/mo)

cheers,
marcel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts