Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have a thread in forced induction, but i havnt got the answer i was looking for there yet so maybe someone in this one would know. basically, im wondering what any of the hardcores in here are taking the rpms to on their sr20det's. not on stock internals though. i mean with cams, springs, retainers, maybe pistons, rods, sleeves also. from what i am told the stock sr20 redlines at 7700. i dont know if this is true or not, but is there anyway this motor revs to 9500 or 10000? (i just drove to cali and back to pick up my beautiful new baby! s13 :D
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I believe the ca18det revs to 10k w/ upgraded internals but the sr20 is only safe to like 8-9k. This is just from looking on the internet, no first hand experience.
 

·
Icy Hot Stunta
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
killersilvia said:
I believe the ca18det revs to 10k w/ upgraded internals but the sr20 is only safe to like 8-9k. This is just from looking on the internet, no first hand experience.
The hydralic valve train is only good to about 8000 rpm. If you convert to mechanical then you can proably rev over 9000 rpm if the rest of the motor is built to take it.

Mike
 

·
Icy Hot Stunta
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
BuudWeizErr said:
SR20's don't have VTEC, you don't need to rev that high. :rolleyes:
If you want to make maximum power with a NA motor, you need revs, its the only way a NA motor will make power! VTEC has nothing to do with how high a motor needs to rev.

How high a vehile will want to rev has to do with cam profile, intake and exhaust design, bore to stroke ratio, stroke to rod length ratio, port flow and a lot of other things.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
I know that. Ugh. It just seems that all those kids seem to think "hey the higher I rev the faster I'll go," when in reality it just shows how much they don't know. It's funny racing them, then you get to tell them things like "owned by your rev limiter" or "owned by your powerband" heheh, whatever.

:rolleyes:
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
HAHahha!

MorePower2, it is a general insult to someone's intelligence when you make an attempt to explain to them that "High revs on an N/A motor are the only way to make power", when thing 1.) that isn't true, and thing 2.) we are talking about a turbocharged motor (the SR20DET).

A more proper course of action would be to 1.) Get a sense of humor, or a new "sarcasm detector" (I hear these are on sale at K-Mart for roughly $19.99), or 2.) Specify that high revolutions are the only option for making decent power on a VERY small displacement motor.

Granted, I have seen many a race-prepped 454 winding high enough to make an S2000 owner jealous, but this is not always the natural way to make power on a motor. More common is to see a 350 (we'll take the Chevy LS-1 for example) redline at near 6000RPM, and make 300rwhp (bone stock mind you).

Hah, but yea, Buudweizerr is kidding about the VTEC thing. Although the amount of MORONIC posts on this forum is ASTONISHING. It is SO disturbing that I was FORCED to make my own account just to point this out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Yeah, those sarcasm detectors should be right next to the VTEC oil.

Thank you for the backup, and I would have to agree that the easiest way to extract power from a small engine, hmm, such as, let me think..... B16, B18, cars already equipped with VTEC... would be to wind to high RPM's.... however, not the only way.
 

·
Icy Hot Stunta
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
edisapimp said:
HAHahha!

MorePower2, it is a general insult to someone's intelligence when you make an attempt to explain to them that "High revs on an N/A motor are the only way to make power", when thing 1.) that isn't true, and thing 2.) we are talking about a turbocharged motor (the SR20DET).

A more proper course of action would be to 1.) Get a sense of humor, or a new "sarcasm detector" (I hear these are on sale at K-Mart for roughly $19.99), or 2.) Specify that high revolutions are the only option for making decent power on a VERY small displacement motor.

Granted, I have seen many a race-prepped 454 winding high enough to make an S2000 owner jealous, but this is not always the natural way to make power on a motor. More common is to see a 350 (we'll take the Chevy LS-1 for example) redline at near 6000RPM, and make 300rwhp (bone stock mind you).

Hah, but yea, Buudweizerr is kidding about the VTEC thing. Although the amount of MORONIC posts on this forum is ASTONISHING. It is SO disturbing that I was FORCED to make my own account just to point this out.
The only other way to increse power in a NA engine is to increase the BMEP which you can do by incresing the phyiscal compression ratio which has its easily gotten to limitations if you study the thermodynamics of engines or you can increse VE and increse the rate at which you deliver power by increasing RPM, the main physical limitations to this are combustion propagation speed in the combustion chamber.

Thats it unless you increse the energy content of the fuel.

Thats why you see the F-1 engine designers going for maximum RPM nowdays. If you want to make big NA power, revs is the only way to do it.

I don't see how you can call any of my posts to this thread moronic. As far as sarcastic, look at who was sarcastic first, it was not me!

As far as the most developed NA SR20's go as what this thread was orginaly about, the STR's that were used in BTCC, they do have a mechanical valve train and they do rev that high to make over 300 hp NA. I was not the one that poo pooed this FACT with sarcasum.

Mike
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Dear Mike,

Again, I do not know where you are going with this thread, and again, you have failed to see the humor in the original joke.

Now, let's get back to the root of this discussion, go back and read the FIRST post in this thread. It is a question about a TURBOCHARGED motor, not a Naturally Aspirated motor, not an F1 car, not a British Touring Car, Not a Primera with a mechanical valvetrain, it was an SR20DET. The person asked about REVS for a turbocharged motor. The only reason I jumped in here is because you made a statement which was irrevlevant to the original thread topic. You stated that the only way to make power on an N/A motor is revs. NOW, I will agree with you on this point, that in order to make MAXIMUM power on an N/A motor, you would need the cam to wind as HIGH as possible, point taken, but again, let's get back to the root of the discussion, which is TURBOCHARGED SR20DET with high revs. Simply not necessary. The reason I was referring to the posts in here as moronic, (not directed straight at ya boss) is because these seem to be questions which have either been asked or answered over 100 times, or could easily be reached an answer by doing a simple google.com search. When someone makes a JOKE referring to VTEC as it relates to REVS, he is pointing out that IF the SR20DET were an N/A motor, you may want it to rev to 9, 10, 11,000 RPM, much as many Honda owners currently strive to do, take advantage of the high winding revs their TINY displacement naturally aspirated motors can turn, because it is their only option to make ANY power. The JOKE was in relation to the fact that on a turbocharged car, you just don't have to do this, and it is mind boggling to wonder why someone would want to BUILD a motor to rev way up to those kinds of revs, when the compressor on the motor would be WAY out of its efficiency range at say... 8,000RPM. The JOKE here is on the MENTALITY of the people asking the question, not on YOU, or on HONDA, or on VTEC, or any of it. Like I said earlier, your sense of humor is quite non-existent, or you wouldn't have bothered to respond to the "VTEC" joke above. Sorry I got your panties in a bunch, and sorry if you think I'm flaming at you, I can see that you have a general understanding of mechanics. My intention was merely to point out the absurdity of the QUESTION being ASKED here. Later Mike.

-Ed

P.S. You spelled "sarcasm" incorrectly.
 

·
Icy Hot Stunta
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
edisapimp said:
Dear Mike,

Again, I do not know where you are going with this thread, and again, you have failed to see the humor in the original joke.

Now, let's get back to the root of this discussion, go back and read the FIRST post in this thread. It is a question about a TURBOCHARGED motor, not a Naturally Aspirated motor, not an F1 car, not a British Touring Car, Not a Primera with a mechanical valvetrain, it was an SR20DET. The person asked about REVS for a turbocharged motor. The only reason I jumped in here is because you made a statement which was irrevlevant to the original thread topic. You stated that the only way to make power on an N/A motor is revs. NOW, I will agree with you on this point, that in order to make MAXIMUM power on an N/A motor, you would need the cam to wind as HIGH as possible, point taken, but again, let's get back to the root of the discussion, which is TURBOCHARGED SR20DET with high revs. Simply not necessary. The reason I was referring to the posts in here as moronic, (not directed straight at ya boss) is because these seem to be questions which have either been asked or answered over 100 times, or could easily be reached an answer by doing a simple google.com search. When someone makes a JOKE referring to VTEC as it relates to REVS, he is pointing out that IF the SR20DET were an N/A motor, you may want it to rev to 9, 10, 11,000 RPM, much as many Honda owners currently strive to do, take advantage of the high winding revs their TINY displacement naturally aspirated motors can turn, because it is their only option to make ANY power. The JOKE was in relation to the fact that on a turbocharged car, you just don't have to do this, and it is mind boggling to wonder why someone would want to BUILD a motor to rev way up to those kinds of revs, when the compressor on the motor would be WAY out of its efficiency range at say... 8,000RPM. The JOKE here is on the MENTALITY of the people asking the question, not on YOU, or on HONDA, or on VTEC, or any of it. Like I said earlier, your sense of humor is quite non-existent, or you wouldn't have bothered to respond to the "VTEC" joke above. Sorry I got your panties in a bunch, and sorry if you think I'm flaming at you, I can see that you have a general understanding of mechanics. My intention was merely to point out the absurdity of the QUESTION being ASKED here. Later Mike.

-Ed

P.S. You spelled "sarcasm" incorrectly.
Sorry my bad, I missunderstoud the original question. I don't have a sence of humor but neiter would you if you were constantly bombarded with questions all the time like I am! I must have to answer 15-20 per day.

I don't have much patience with people that try to argue with me because I spend way to much time answering so many questions for so many people. I get especialy annoyed with people trying to argue with me when they are very clearly wrong. I only argue when I know that I am right.

But you are right, I did misunderstand the orginal question!

Mike
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
MIKE, it's cool man. Sorry I flamed at ya.

I Hope in the future we can WORK TOGETHER save the nissanforums.com community!

HAH! Good luck, and here's to being friends!

-ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey opium, who did your swap for you? and edisapimp, you said "when the compressor on the motor would be WAY out of its efficiency range at say... 8,000RPM." im not going to be using the stock turbo. i was gonna get a 60-1 instead. so i need the revs to spool this monster. thats all
 

·
Icy Hot Stunta
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
edisapimp said:
MIKE, it's cool man. Sorry I flamed at ya.

I Hope in the future we can WORK TOGETHER save the nissanforums.com community!

HAH! Good luck, and here's to being friends!

-ed
Hey I think I met you at SEMA at the 5ZIGEN party.

Mike
 

·
Icy Hot Stunta
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
FFgeon said:
hey opium, who did your swap for you? and edisapimp, you said "when the compressor on the motor would be WAY out of its efficiency range at say... 8,000RPM." im not going to be using the stock turbo. i was gonna get a 60-1 instead. so i need the revs to spool this monster. thats all
I would not use a 60-1, its an old school sucking compressor from a TO4B. It has the flow but not the efficencey. I would run a BCI8 TO4E 60 trim.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya it starts blowin hot air around 24-28 psi, i cant remember off hand,BUT i can get it real cheap off my friend/boss. possible t61 also. i still need the motor anyway, so we are still in the "all talk no go" phase. thanks for your input
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top