Nissan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
I'll be using a Porter Cable 7424 (6" Random Orbit Polisher) here in about a week. I'll tell you then.

·
Registered
116 Posts
today i saw a kit at walmart for 20 bucks. a 10'' orbital buffer, case, extension cord and extra pads.

seems like a good deal. you can always return it. id think all buffers are the same. the polish you use matters 234 times more

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
You have the orbital and rotary polisher. Don't bother with a rotary as you will destroy your paint. I could get technical but Chris and I have covered this in other threads. Orbitals work very well and use about 80% less chemicals than by hand. The Porter Cable is the industry standard, and you can get Ryobi, Craftsman and a few others with pull on buffing pads for about 30 bucks. As far as the differences, the Porter Cable is king. The only thing that is better than it are rotary buffers being used by those with teh skill.

So bottom line? Buying a buffer will actually save you money long term as well as time. It is also better for your car. I highly reccomend getting one as you will love it. If you get the Porter Cable, there are many videos that most major companies make that show how to use it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NickZac said:
You have the orbital and rotary polisher. Don't bother with a rotary as you will destroy your paint. I could get technical but Chris and I have covered this in other threads. Orbitals work very well and use about 80% less chemicals than by hand. The Porter Cable is the industry standard, and you can get Ryobi, Craftsman and a few others with pull on buffing pads for about 30 bucks. As far as the differences, the Porter Cable is king. The only thing that is better than it are rotary buffers being used by those with teh skill.

So bottom line? Buying a buffer will actually save you money long term as well as time. It is also better for your car. I highly reccomend getting one as you will love it. If you get the Porter Cable, there are many videos that most major companies make that show how to use it.

$120 is a little expensive.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Sentrixx said:
$120 is a little expensive.
Then I'de consider getting a few friends together and buying one. If you check the ampage ratings on the Porter Cable and read reviews, you will realize why it costs 120 and why it is the industry standard. Almost every detailing firm uses them as they are cheap (trust me, 120 is about as cheap as it gets for a quality machine), reliable, highly effective, and have universal pads made for them by almost every company out their.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Google search Northwest Power Tools

Porter Cable 6" Orbital for 109.00

·
Registered
82 Posts
ifoam said:
today i saw a kit at walmart for 20 bucks. a 10'' orbital buffer, case, extension cord and extra pads.

seems like a good deal. you can always return it. id think all buffers are the same. the polish you use matters 234 times more
The wal mart 20 dollar job will NOT work. it wont rotate as soon as you put it against the car. No power. Do waste your money or time. Just get the porter cable orbiter buffer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i bought a coleman 6" in walmart, it was on sale for 19.99 i also picked up like 6 extra pads and 2 wool ones.

it works great, i love it. i will definitely wax my car more often cuz of it.

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
Baddad said:
$150 - $200 is what you're gonna pay for something that you can use for a long time. Be sure to get a buffer/polisher that's variable speed or AT LEAST has low/high switch. Porter Cable is good, here's what I use. I paid $185 before pads & chemicals
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=174
thats heavy dity... would not recomment a rotary for anyone not very familiar with thier use...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Sentrixx said:
What do you guys use? I have been just doing it by hand but i want to bring my car to a bling bling.. So hook me up with some info.
I think it's best to go with best tool you can afford. If that means a Porter-Cable, sure, go for it. If you can't afford a PC, then personally, I'd go for the $20 Black & Decker and see how you like using a buffer. Just keep in mind, it may not be as easy to use, it may not do quite as good a job, and it most likely won't last as long as the more expensive models, but, it may be fine for your purposes. I've used a Black & Decker Orbital Buffer to apply wax and polish on my last few cars. I use a 100% Cotton towel to remove. BTW, my first "cheap" orbital buffer lasted about 5-7 years. I've had this one for 3 and it's still doing fine.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
jerryp58 said:
I think it's best to go with best tool you can afford. If that means a Porter-Cable, sure, go for it. If you can't afford a PC, then personally, I'd go for the $20 Black & Decker and see how you like using a buffer. Just keep in mind, it may not be as easy to use, it may not do quite as good a job, and it most likely won't last as long as the more expensive models, but, it may be fine for your purposes. I've used a Black & Decker Orbital Buffer to apply wax and polish on my last few cars. I use a 100% Cotton towel to remove. BTW, my first "cheap" orbital buffer lasted about 5-7 years. I've had this one for 3 and it's still doing fine.
For consumer usage, a B and D, Craftsman or Ryobi will do fine and there is nothing wrong with them as they are effective and safe. The Porter Cable will do better though, and a rotary is most effective. But as you said, working with what you afford is the way to go although I do highly reccomend the Porter Cable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts