Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering if there was a budget way of controlling boost. could i buy a t junction with a valve? anyone made one at home etc etc?

oh and also even if i got proper manual boost control, would i need 2 of them for my z32 and are they easy to install?

thanks

:cheers:

yes i realise im a cheapskate :p
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Not cheaper than me.... ;) I ran a homemade MBC for a while, since then I switched to the ball-spring type. You can get those here

Before I bought one of those I simply used a T junction inline, with one side open to the air to bleed off boost pressure going to the wastgate. Now, I don't recommend that approach for a lot of reasons, not the least of which it allows a lot of spiking and it may make you run a little rich since it's blowing off metered air.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oooweee thats too rich for my blood $49 bux each! (US i assume)
i think u under-estimate the power of my stingy-ness. the exchange rate doesnt help either. US to AUS that is
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
spankytheking said:
oooweee thats too rich for my blood $49 bux each! (US i assume)
i think u under-estimate the power of my stingy-ness. the exchange rate doesnt help either. US to AUS that is
You might be able to adapt one kit to run both turbos, but that would require a lot of vacuum line......
Or you can do it like I described above, if you wanna do it on the mega-cheap. Too cheap, and you'll end up blowing your engine, though.
 

·
Power FC Z32
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
spankytheking said:
Hi,

Just wondering if there was a budget way of controlling boost. could i buy a t junction with a valve? anyone made one at home etc etc?

oh and also even if i got proper manual boost control, would i need 2 of them for my z32 and are they easy to install?

thanks

:cheers:

yes i realise im a cheapskate :p
If you get a chance check out other modded Z32 you'll see that the guys that had their Z's for a long time have a electronic BC which gives better response, control of boost, safety.


Think of it as insurance, $200-600 BC vs. $2500 rebuild. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
spankytheking said:
oooweee thats too rich for my blood $49 bux each! (US i assume)
i think u under-estimate the power of my stingy-ness. the exchange rate doesnt help either. US to AUS that is

I dont mean to be a jerk but if $49 is too much for a boost controller then a TT Z32 is probabaly the wrong car for you. If your wanting safe reliable power for $25 you will never find it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
mpw991 said:
I dont mean to be a jerk but if $49 is too much for a boost controller then a TT Z32 is probabaly the wrong car for you. If your wanting safe reliable power for $25 you will never find it.
Well not in so many words, but yeah, I agree. Don't get a boost controller til you can get a good one. I might recommend a Profec-B. Pretty good design, solid reliability. Don't get the Spec-2 though, a lot of people seem to be unhappy with it. And don't get an AVC-R. "Fuzzy logic" indeed.........
 

·
Power FC Z32
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Well not in so many words, but yeah, I agree. Don't get a boost controller til you can get a good one. I might recommend a Profec-B. Pretty good design, solid reliability. Don't get the Spec-2 though, a lot of people seem to be unhappy with it. And don't get an AVC-R. "Fuzzy logic" indeed.........
Do you know what Fuzzy Logic is? Please explain because Avc-r does not have "FL"?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Spongerider said:
Do you know what Fuzzy Logic is? Please explain because Avc-r does not have "FL"?
Are we thinking of the same unit? Seemed to me the AVC-R used fuzzy logic to determine boost levels in each gear.... Maybe I'm thinking of the Profec-A. A friend of mine had the AVC-R and absolutely despised it, though. I think it was the self-learn mode it had problems with.
 

·
Power FC Z32
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
Fuzzy Logic is a HKS technology (old school).

What is it?

You make 3 runs, starting in 3rd gear at a certain rpm say 2K. til red line.

Con,
1) Very unsafe to make run on a public street.
2) Must be consistent when making 3 runs.
3) Very hard on engines when going to redline (blow engine)

Self Learning CPU processor (new technology) Avc-r.

What it is?

The cpu processor is always learning so no matter if you go to redline or 4K the avc-r will learn your boost curve. It also learns to compensate for weather condition and elevation which fuzzy logic can't do.

Pro,

1) You don't need to make run to redline for the BC to work correctly. Just getting on the freeway will make the avc-r work.
2) You don't have to make three consistent runs to make it work properly.
3) Not hard on your engine
4) You can turn off the self learning if you like.

The avc-r is made so that the basic user can use it or the technical guy can use it such a gear judgment, or adjusting the boost curve at a desirable rpm.

I've used both and I know what I'm talking about. If you have question please ask me. Sorry if I'm comming off rude but I hate it when people give out misinformed information.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
It's the Profec-A unit I was thinking about, not the AVC-R. Got my controllers confused, sorry. :eek: In any case, some people don't like the AVC-R for some reason. I personally prefer the Profec-B. Set it and forget it, high/low boost at the touch of a button, none of the extra electronic garbage the AVC-R has....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
It's the Profec-A unit I was thinking about, not the AVC-R. Got my controllers confused, sorry. :eek: In any case, some people don't like the AVC-R for some reason. I personally prefer the Profec-B. Set it and forget it, high/low boost at the touch of a button, none of the extra electronic garbage the AVC-R has....
Ive heard good things about the Profec-A, especially because of its fuzzy logic. From what I have heard it is best on single turbo applications like the Z31 and MKIII Supras. My friend has one on his MKIII and it works great. The only problem is that it is no longer in production and have only seen them for sale on ebay and can be hard to come by.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
mpw991 said:
Ive heard good things about the Profec-A, especially because of its fuzzy logic. From what I have heard it is best on single turbo applications like the Z31 and MKIII Supras. My friend has one on his MKIII and it works great. The only problem is that it is no longer in production and have only seen them for sale on ebay and can be hard to come by.
It was mentioned a few months ago in SCC. Musta been pulled off production pretty quick.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really only wanted something i could use to turn up the boost, get a 1/4 mile time, and turn off again. i was originally looking at the avc-r's and the profec b's for long term use but theyre 500aud :( plus i would need someone to install it for me because im useless at that sort of thing. lots of money i dont have atm :(

is there a discount version of those controllers (diff brand etc)? or an older cheaper model that will be reliable?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
spankytheking said:
I really only wanted something i could use to turn up the boost, get a 1/4 mile time, and turn off again. i was originally looking at the avc-r's and the profec b's for long term use but theyre 500aud :( plus i would need someone to install it for me because im useless at that sort of thing. lots of money i dont have atm :(

is there a discount version of those controllers (diff brand etc)? or an older cheaper model that will be reliable?
You could try importing a used one from the US. I can get a Profec-B for about $125 here , depending on who's doing the selling. That leaves you with the install problem. Profec-B's are about the easiest to install, you just run the vac lines from the wastgate and compressor housing to the slave unit which gets mounted to the firewall. There's a set of wires that gets passed through the firewall to the control unit which can be mounted anywhere you like inside the car. The AVC-R generally requires a professional install, since it taps into the ECU wiring for a lot of it's functions. An MBC is of course the easiest of all to install. For what you want to do, I'd save up money for an MBC setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmm if i could get a profec b for 125US id be very happy "knudge knudge"
ive got a spot ready waiting for a controller, it looks so sad without one :(
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top