Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about several ways to get the broken oil dip stick out of the dip stick tube that leads into the oil pan. The handle to my oil dip stick came off and the rest of the dip stick slide down the tube. I have tried the following methods: krazy glue on the eraser on a pencil, the suction from a gas station high power vaccuum to suck the dip stick up the tube, and the compressed air from a gas station into the PVC hole to blast the dip stick out of the tube.

I have been trying to pull out the dip stick tube to get to the dip stick. But, it does not seem to come loose. I the barrel of a screwdriver that is about the diameter of the tube inside of it and clamped a vice grip onto the tube. I cannot get the dip stick tube to budge.

Any tips?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might try a small magnetic pickup tool available from an auto store or hardware store. It is a strong magnet on the tip of a telescoping tube.

Is it too far down for tweezers or hemostats?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is too far down the tube to reach with tweezers. I have not tried the magnetic pickup tool....not sure it it would work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might try the string through a straw trick. Take a straw, or a thin metal hollow tube. A straw may work better since you can flatten it. Take a string or fishing line and fold it in half. Insert the fold through the tube so that what appears to come out of the other side is a loop. You don't want a very big loop, maybe the diameter of a finger. Insert the end of the tube down the pipe (you should feel when you reach the dipstick) and work to get the loop on one side and the tube on the other. Then pull out the slack and pull slowly.

If nothing works, you should be able to remove the dipstick tube itself. They are typically only held in with one or two bolts.

Another possibility is you could drop the oil pan and either remove it from the bottom or push it back up. This would have the advantage of retrieving anything that may have dropped down the tube with it.

Some dipsticks have a small hole in them, you might be able to take a thin piece of metal with a hook in it and attempt to snag it. Metal guitar string, steel picture hanging wire, or the solid copper center conductor from a piece of CATV cable would be strong enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Broken Dipstick

I have had two break on my 2000 Sentra.

The first went down the tube and I had to take the car in. The mechanic dropped the oil pan and took it out through the bottom.

The second broke off in my hand and I was able to tape the top of the dipstick onto the tube until I got a new one. I asked the dealer when I got the new one if Nissan had any recall. He said no, but that he has Oil Change shops coming in often to get new ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts