Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a K&N Cone filter for my SR20 but it looks like I still need a breather filter. I haven't been able to find part #s for this filter. Doesn't K&N make some of these? Where to buy? Thanks.

M

·
0 Posts
just buy the genaric breather filter from k&n most part shops should have them in stock

·
Registered
38 Posts
It depends, if he needs a filter for the valve cover breather thing(the tube that goes from the valve cover to the intake) a regular one won't fit.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bought a cheap ass one from checkers and I am happy with it. It went on the valve cover nipple that went to the intake. The good thing about it is that before I have to clean my throttle body every other month but now it is nice and clean 1 year later:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AIV Filter

I went and bought a generic K&N breather filter and tried to see if I could get it to fit. The size of the fitting was too large for the metal intake on the valve cover and too small for the rubber hose. I found that I'll need to fabricate my own fitting because none of the filters come in the right size. Strange that I haven't heard anyone else complain about having to do that.
Any suggestions? What has everyone else done?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it is a bad idea to use just a regular breather filter to connect to the small black box on the front of the engine? What is a better option?

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
trasen92SER said:
So it is a bad idea to use just a regular breather filter to connect to the small black box on the front of the engine? What is a better option?
Is it before or after the MAF?

ON the valve cover it's not a good idea... not that it will harm anything, but you are not allowing the MAF to send proper info to the ECU.... I'm not sure which one you're talking about..

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
I've got a 1.6L and I was talking to people about those breather filters that can replace that hose... A lot of people were telling me that I actually lost HP when I put it on because it messes with the vacuum. I was told to avoid the breather filter but add a catch tank sort of device between the valve cover breather and the intake piping so the oil doesn't get into the TB/IM.

Anyone know if this is true?

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
dho said:
I was told to avoid the breather filter but add a catch tank sort of device between the valve cover breather and the intake piping so the oil doesn't get into the TB/IM.

Anyone know if this is true?
I really don't think it's worth that much trouble for the amount of oil that may get by there... You should clean your throttle body periodically anyways...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Filter location

The filter (hose) is attached before the MAF, it feeds off the air from the airbox. There is an outlet before the MAF from the box. I asked someone today and they said the black box was only present on the early sr20's. I guess it is used to heat up the cat faster or something like that.
Don't know if this makes more sense, just trying to make sure I do it right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The black box you talk about is the AIV. It is on the 91-93 sr20s because of the different intake manifold. The placement of the injectors on the old I/M caused alot of port wall wetting. The AIV was introduced to bring fresh air into the exhaust to help pass emissions I believe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts