Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new- - sentra se-r spec v 2005 with only 30 miles when taken off the lot. . .

so far i have heard a few ways to break in a car, and just wanted to know other opinions or ideas for asurance. .

1. drive 5000 miles easy on the highway rpm < 5000
2. drive about 1000 miles, then open the true power. . . rpm < 4000
3. drive 275 miles easy, 25 hard, 275 easy, 25 hard, . . . etc
4. drive car under 50% throttle action and 5000 rpm for 1000-5000 miles

so far i have driven the car 300 miles. lol. half city half hwy. and have religiously shifted right before 4k rpm with maybe 3 times of getting close to over 5k rpm. . . i've definitely have gunned the throttle to feel happy but shift before the 4k rpm mark

so what do you think ? lol

have a nice day :banhump:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
there are so many different answers to that question... have you read the owners manuel? On mine, I drove it like my old car, I just tried to keep it off the rev limiter and I havent had a bit of trouble with it. At work we bought 5 new trucks, some babied them some ran the pi$$ out of them, and I have to admit the trucks that were ran hard... after break in, they had better pick up!
Also, one of my friends builds race motors and they break them in at 7000rpms for 30min. but then again thats a race motor that will get rebuilt alot sooner than a street driven car. so take it for whats its worth! Baby it or not, its up to you.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
2004 Owners Manual

PremierSpec said:
I also would like to know proper engine break-in since I just bought an 05 Spec V yesterday.
I find simple, carefull reading of the owners manual tells all...

"During the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km), follow these recommendations to obtain maximum engine performance and ensure the future reliability and economy of your new vehicle. Failure to follow these recommendations may result in shortened engine life and reduced engine performance.

c Avoid driving for long periods at constantspeed, either fast or slow, and do not run the engine over 4,000 rpm.
c Do not accelerate at full throttle in any gear.
c Avoid quick starts.
c Avoid hard braking as much as possible.
c Do not tow a trailer for the first 500 miles (800 km). Your engine, axle or other parts could be damaged."

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pherschel said:
I find simple, carefull reading of the owners manual tells all...

"During the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km), follow these recommendations to obtain maximum engine performance and ensure the future reliability and economy of your new vehicle. Failure to follow these recommendations may result in shortened engine life and reduced engine performance.

c Avoid driving for long periods at constantspeed, either fast or slow, and do not run the engine over 4,000 rpm.
c Do not accelerate at full throttle in any gear.
c Avoid quick starts.
c Avoid hard braking as much as possible.
c Do not tow a trailer for the first 500 miles (800 km). Your engine, axle or other parts could be damaged."

yes yes yes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts