Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Murry Ultra brand thermostat for my GA16DE from the parts store a few months back and am just now getting around to changing it. I noticed in the factory service manual and the Haynes manual it says to make sure you get the thermostat's air bleed valve aligned correctly. However, there is no air bleed valve on the Murry thermostat. I called the parts store and asked them to double check the Murry part number 15758 and make sure it was for my Nissan, they checked and assured me it was.

So, my question is this, is the air bleed valve applicable to GA16DE engine, or is only for the SR20DE. And, what will happen if I put this Murry thermostat in my engine? (I'm almost 100 miles from the nearest Nissan parts dealer, which is why I went with the parts store.)

Any suggestions.
Thanks,
Tony....

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
the air bleed valve is on the GA16 engines thermostat
however I cant be for sure if there will be any ill effect if there is not one

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MagicPie said:
the air bleed valve is on the GA16 engines thermostat
however I cant be for sure if there will be any ill effect if there is not one
I pulled my thermostat today and sure enough the air bleed valve was there. Earlier in the day whan I was in town I stopped by the parts store and had them recheck the numbers again. Then I had them pull a Murray brand for an SR20 engine and sure enough, the air bleed was on it. Howver, it seemed bigger than the one for the GA16 and had a rubber gasket around it. Do you know if they are interchangable. Probably not, I'm sure.

Living out here in the boonies, It's days like this that make me really appreciate my old Chevy pickup. I can damn near get all the parts I need for it at the local convience store. After dealing with parts for this Sentra project, I've just about scratched Nissan off my list when it come to buying a new truck. Although I am starting to see few new Nissan trucks pop up out here. But I'm getting pretty darn gunshy about Nissan because of parts. It gets real old having to drive 100 miles one-way or wait days for something simple as thermostat. Ok I'm done whining now.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
cactusfarmer said:
I pulled my thermostat today and sure enough the air bleed valve was there. Earlier in the day whan I was in town I stopped by the parts store and had them recheck the numbers again. Then I had them pull a Murray brand for an SR20 engine and sure enough, the air bleed was on it. Howver, it seemed bigger than the one for the GA16 and had a rubber gasket around it. Do you know if they are interchangable. Probably not, I'm sure.

Living out here in the boonies, It's days like this that make me really appreciate my old Chevy pickup. I can damn near get all the parts I need for it at the local convience store. After dealing with parts for this Sentra project, I've just about scratched Nissan off my list when it come to buying a new truck. Although I am starting to see few new Nissan trucks pop up out here. But I'm getting pretty darn gunshy about Nissan because of parts. It gets real old having to drive 100 miles one-way or wait days for something simple as thermostat. Ok I'm done whining now.
Consider using an online source, there's plenty of them. I hate driving to the dealership too, but probably because every time I special order a part they screw it up. You could have the parts delivered right to you for much less than you would pay at the dealer. And they would be OEM parts too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts