Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please leave your feedback about brand speakers here.

Oh, and I'm talking, worthwhile, detailed feedback.....here's an example

*not actual feedback, just an example*
Pyle crap-ola 6x9" Coaxials-----very tinny metallic highs, mids are nonexistant.........might as well have spent my money on tweeters!

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Diamond Audio M66.1 components (6.5" titanium/molybdinum alloy midbass, 1" silk dome tweeter): Excellent sound for the money. Very strong, detailed midbass. The highs are slightly lacking for my tastes, but I like my music very bright. I had them run temporarily on deck power off an Alpine CDA-7863, and while I don't recommend this AT ALL, they still sounded good. Hooked up to my Sony STR-DE675 home theater receiver (100Wx5) they absolutely wailed. Great system for a rock lover.

Kenwhizzy 1766 (6.5" coaxial): Weaksauce midbass, but bright highs. They get pissed at anything below 180Hz. Not bad for $50, and they'd be a great speaker for your wife/girlfriend's car. Just don't feed them too much power.

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
Infinity Kappa 60.5cs (6.5 components) - No midbass, horrible crossovers, and the highs make you want to stab your brain with an ice pick. When I say no midbass I really mean it too, I would sit there turning 80hz up and up and up in the EQ and literally not hear one change in the sound. They were highpassed at 80, so this should NOT have been happening. I think they might have a highpass filter build into the crossover that's set around 150hz, that's the ONLY explanation I can come up with. They were being fed with 85rms, so that's not the problem. Complete waste of money, they're being used as paperweights in my closet right now because I'd feel too guilty about selling them to anyone.

Infinity Kappa 652.3i (6.5 2-way coax) - More midbass than the 60.5cs, but that doesn't say much. Not very detailed, couldn't handle anything under 150hz at a reasonable volume without bottoming out. I had to set the highpass on my amp to 200hz to keep them in control, fed with 85rms. I found out later that the motors lost control of the cone at ~30rms on a 100hz test tone, that's pretty pathetic for speakers that are rated up to 75rms and down to 60hz (or something like that, don't remember the exact number) if you ask me. Again, complete waste of money, being used as paperweights in my closet. They've become good buddies with the 60.5cs since I took them out of the car.

Focal Polyglass 165v2 - Great speakers for the money. Awesome midbass, depending on the song I have them highpassed at 50Hz and they love it. Underrated as well, I'm feeding them with 125rms a side and they eat it up. They definately love deadened doors though, if you decide to get them make sure you do atleast 2 layers of sound deadening on the door panel, sealing up all the holes. They lack a little midbass clarity IMO, but what can you expect from a set of $200 speakers. Definately a breath of fresh air coming from the kappas. The polyglass by themselves also get louder than both sets of kappas combined, and have more midbass than both sets of kappas combined.

in summary, don't waste your money on infinity, they built up a reputation somehow and now they're just making subpar products and eating off their reputation to make a profit. Focal is good, don't pay attention to the high retail prices because they're definately worth the money if you get them on ebay. I recommend a seller named "indoaudio" on ebay, great guy, I've talked to countless people who have bought audio equipment from him and none have any negative comments.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
installed some Focal Access CA165 6.5" Coax's in the rear deck today.
Impressions:
Very clear highs, can't really hear midrange, however, I'm running off the deck, so there isn't a decent crossover to get midrange out of it, but they're extremely clear. For lower end Focals ( still $100) they're great sounding, and I'll be running them off an alpine amp in a few weeks, so I'll post the review then as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
sr20dem0n said:
Focal Polyglass 165v2 - Great speakers for the money. Awesome midbass, depending on the song I have them highpassed at 50Hz and they love it. Underrated as well, I'm feeding them with 125rms a side and they eat it up. They definately love deadened doors though, if you decide to get them make sure you do atleast 2 layers of sound deadening on the door panel, sealing up all the holes. They lack a little midbass clarity IMO, but what can you expect from a set of $200 speakers. Definately a breath of fresh air coming from the kappas. The polyglass by themselves also get louder than both sets of kappas combined, and have more midbass than both sets of kappas combined.
I'm feeding mine 75W per side off a Butler tube amp and I think I found god. Can't wait to get the HLabs 800D and Dynaudio MW190 in.

·
Datsun Guy
1,367 Posts
infinities are 'audiophile' speakers, known for really crisp highs, I wouldn't expect much spl at 80 hz from any 6" speaker. I had a set of the kappa 3 way 6" and 2 way 6" in my subaru and i had their amp set to not send them anything under 100hz, I had a seperate dual 12" setup for 10 - 100 hz. I liked em and would buy them again, just understand their limitations.

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
I wouldn't expect much spl at 80 hz from any 6" speaker
Maybe you should stop listening to infinity then and get some real speakers. Infinity components blow, plain and simple. You say you wouldn't expect much SPL at 80hz from any 6" speaker? What is "much"? Because the kappas were probably around 60dB, that's just plain pathetic, ESPECIALLY from a set of speakers that are said to play flat down to 45hz by the manufacturer itself! My Focals, which are only rated down to 60hz by the way, are atleast 5 times louder at all frequencies under 100hz than the kappas.

I accidently blew my focal tweets so right now I'm using the kappa tweets (when you feed a set of speakers almost double their rating something like that is bound to happen). After I get a new set of speakers I'd be perfectly willing to sell the kappas, I hate those things. When coupled with the focal xovers the kappa tweets are tolerable, which leads me to believe the kappa xovers are just as bad as the kappa mids, if not worse.

i had their amp set to not send them anything under 100hz
You should never have your subs crossed over higher than 80hz. Above that and you start getting directional frequencies coming from the back of the car, which screws up the sound stage. If your mids can't play that low then you need some new mids. "Audiophile" has nothing to do with a pair of 6.5" mids not being able to play below 100hz, in fact many of the top sound quality competitors in the world have their 6.5" mids highpassed around 50hz, some even lower than that.

·
Basketball anyone?
58 Posts
Crystal CMP X2 Subwoofers

Great subwoofer. Huge magnet for hard hitting bass. Gets that thump plus that warm bass and makes your head spin if you turn it up too loud. Great sub for the money. Competes with the JL Audio W7 but its cheaper. Doesn't look that great if you want your subs to look good, but if you want some crystal clear, hard pounding bass, crystal cmp x2 is the way to go.

·