Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2000 frontier with 150,xxx. I recently replaced the front calipers this past fall, around 4,000 miles ago as I found one was sticking and pulling the truck to the right. Recently this week I had been driving and getting many symptoms. The truck has a hissing sound coming from the rotors - shhh-shh-shh-shh. The sound becomes abnoxiously loud around 45 and starts to make a humming sound. I took off the tire and looked at the pads which are fine. When I turn the hub with my hand it makes a slight shh-shhh-shh sound. So I hope it is the rotors? Both rotors have rust and the pads only hit about 2/3 of the rotor. I tried pulling the caliper loose by hand and tightening it on the rotor but it seems stiff. As I said I just replaced the calipers this fall. When I apply the brakes it shakes the car especially when slowing to an off ramp. So my question is whether you think it is the rotors(a) and (b) whether I can tell if it is the calipers by some test. I hope it isn't the calipers again! thanks for any help!

·
Registered
215 Posts
ROTORS

PUT YOUR TRUCK ON A JACK. GRAB THE WHEEL FROM THE TOP AND THE BOTTOM. SHAKE IT, IF IT SHAKES YOU NEED A NEW WHEEL BEARING. IF NOT ITS POSSIBLE YOU WARPED THE ROTOR. WHEN YOU REPLACED THE CALIPERS DID YOU TURN OR REPLACE THE ROTORS?

·
Registered
98 Posts
sounds like rotors. esp the shimmy at low speeds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't replace the rotors or have them turned when I put on the calipers.

The faster I go the more wobble and rotor shake the brakes resonate. (just check up to 50mph, at which point I wouldn't want to go faster due to the sound and vibration)

·
Registered
215 Posts
BRAKES

GET NEW ONES OR TURN THEM. IF YOU DONT MIND THE NOISE AUTO ZONE ROTORS WILL WORK FINE. YOU MAY NEED TO SAND YOUR BRAKES BECAUSE THEY MAY BE UNEVEN. BUT BEFORE YOU BUY TRY THE WHEEL THING.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked to see if it was the bearings by trying to wobble tire vertically which it wouldn't. On one side i could wobble it maybe a quarter inch or so. So i'm guessing the rotors are really warped. People say rotors can't warp but if i were to guess it seems warping is the culprit here. Are there any other tests to make sure it isn't the bearings? I have a broken shock on one side.

·
Registered
215 Posts
BRAKES

SHOCKS MAY CAUSE IT BUT ROTORS GET HEATED UP AND THE SURFACES GET UNEVEN. WHEN YOU DRIVE IF THE CAR AND STEERING WHEEL SHAKE IT COULD BE THE ROTORS. THEY MAY BE UNEVEN FROM THE PREVIOUS CALIPERS. I SUGGEST TRY TO HAVE THEM TURNED.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts