Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for double posting about the same issue.

@Mods - you can delete my other post.

Ok.

Here's the rundown. I have a leak in one of my steel brake lines. It's a small hole and I want to cut off the section of pipe and use a compression fitting on each end to join the piping.

Autozone doesn't carry a compression fitting in-store and would have to be ordered. My question is: What size diameter brake line is used in a 1996 Nissan 200SX-SE?

Does anyone have a link to a guide to help me? I have searched for it and couldn't find one (Albeit I didn't have a large amount to search).

I've never used a compression fitting either and don't know how I should go about using one (clearance on either end of the cut and such).

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
you must use a double flare fitting because of the pressure.
Since the tools are expensive its probably better to either buy the pipe from Nissan or take it off and take it to a shop that will make you a new one using your old one as a pattern.
I dont think anyone will sell you anything when you tell them what this is for....

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Got your PM.
Well the problem here is the size and shape make shipping difficult and expensive.
And they cost a lot from the dealer, although i don't see why you cant use 97 instead of 96 brake pipes if you buy from your local dealer, $69 vs $165 !!! even if you have to buy the flex pipe.
I assume this has drums ? doesn't seem to make much difference as far as i can tell
Where are you located ?
Call up the local parts store, ask if they can make you one from your sample.
OR buy a piece of pipe the right length and bend your own, they sell soft tube for this.
If its too long you bend in a coil out of the way where it wont get snaged.
Try Rock Auto.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
AGS / 1/4 x 72 in. Brake Line PAX-472 $5.49
AGS / 3/16 x 72 in. Brake Line PAX-372 $4.99
AGS / 3/8 x 72 in. Brake Line PAX-672 $6.49

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
This was from Autozone

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Did you find a good solution ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah,

I went to the local auto shop and asked for some advice.

They bent me some pipe, I cut out the rusted/deteriorated part of the line, and using two compression fittings, I spliced the new line in. 2k miles and no fluid leak, so I'm fine for now.

I plan to get the full lines on order soon and then when I have the time, replace all of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts