Nissan Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Quadraria,

1. Can you please repeat the steps of hard braking in a clearer way?

2. Does hard braking ruin my pads or disc?

3. I searched for European part suppliers, I chatted them online, I told you before that they did not have the pads yet.

4. I spoke with Xtrail manual transmission owners and they told me that they did not have this noise problem.

5. This noise problem is not related to my own car only. I told you before that I tested 2-3 brand new and used Xtrails over here and they had the same problem.

6. Do you think the rotors of all the cars I tested had problems?

7. Before my raising this noise concern, there was only one message in Turkey forums about this. What it means is that people do have this noise but do not care about it. So, the same situation can be true for the new Rogue owners as well.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Fakay its been described at least 3 times. Go fast brake hard without coming to complete stop-- ie. Go from 80 km/h or 100 and brake hard to 10 without fully stopping do this a few times, and wait a minute or so between the hard stops. For transferring pad material to your rotors Nissan recommends going from about 70 km/h to a full stop for about 4 or 5 seconds, and then going forward again. Once again you can do this a few times. Be firm with the pedal you want to cause wear and friction. You will not be prematurely wearing out your brakes. In any case you want to make sure they work well in emergency stop situations.

Just find a road with no traffic and go nuts.

Maybe you could ask a Nissan dealer for alternate pad choices. Sometimes they have different ones for the same model. Otherwise be patient and their will be aftermarket pads soon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Quadraria,

Thank you for your kind advise again. So, which one shall I apply? your advise or Nissan's ? just because yours and Nissan's look different. According to your advise, no need for full stops, however Nissan recommends full stops.

What do I do after completing hard stops?

I have already asked Nissand dealer for alternative pads, they do no have any.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
When installing new pads you need some of the material on them to transfer to the rotors. Nissan's procedure is for this. Sorry to confuse you. The hard braking I am suggesting is more to speed up the bedding or proper mating ( sounds obscene) of your pads and rotors.

After hard stop you just keep driving a bit, then do another, and then another. All you are trying to do without getting your rotors bright red with heat, is to cause a bit of wear to get rid some minor glazing on pads or wear down a high/hard spot on rotor. Basically speed up your 1000 to 2000 more kms the mechanics suggest you drive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Quadraria,

The car has already more than 2000 km's on it, however most of it has been gathered out of town on highways, which means not too much use of the brakes for complete stops. My friend's Qashqai has more than 4000 km's on it, he has the same noise problem as well.

I will follow your advise of doing hard stops, but I simply could not understand why brand new cars need such procedure.

Also, please take into account my observation about the effect of weather on the noise. When I go to work, I park my car in a parking lot. The car stays there for several hours and it is really hot outside. When I start driving the car in the evening at around 6pm, I hear no noise at all. I think the pads do not make any noise as long as the temparature on them is kept more than a threshold level. You start to hear noise when the weather gets cooler, which in turn decreases the temperature on the pads. This situation has been observed by me several times on different days so I am pretty sure about the effect of the outside temperature on the noise. What do you think?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Quadraria,

Another question for you: My pads have two shims on it, one that comes with the pad itself, and the other is metalic shim. What is the function of the second metalic shim? What happens if I take the metal shim out?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Quadraria,

Believe or not, I read tons of articles on braking, pads, brake noise, lubricants, brake discs etc...

All I need is some helpful information from you as you seem to be experienced on this topic.

Also, as I told you before, all Nissan cars with automatic transmission in Turkey have this noise problem.

Therefore, your help is very important - not just for me but for a huge crowd.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
I am in Canada. Trucks and buses make brake noise, and the odd car as well. My experience is my brake pads start to get noisy when they are getting near the end of their serviceable life. I am sure the X trails in Germany do not have noisy brakes. What is special about Turkey I have no idea. To one of your previous questions does temperature affect brakes, answer is yes, however the ambient temperature outside and the actual temperature of your brake components after a bit of use will not be the same. The brakes will be much hotter.
Trust me when I say I have no answers for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Quadraria,

Another question for you: My pads have two shims on it, one that comes with the pad itself, and the other is metalic shim. What is the function of the second metalic shim? What happens if I take the metal shim out?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Experiment away. Maybe you will discover new noises with it removed. For what its worth every dealer thinks brake noises are normal with their new cars. They just want the customer to go away. I am just glad I can do my own brake work and when I do they do not squeak or make noise. Brake feel is great.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I will definitely experiment on it. Brake noise can be normal with the new cars as long as the noise goes away after putting some mileage on the car, which is not case for Nissan cars.

Also, in order for me to correctly identify the right word for my noise, are "squeal" and "squeak" same? How about "groaning" and "grinding"?

By the way, you do not hear this noise at all when you stop uphill.

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,826 Posts
My pads have two shims on it, one that comes with the pad itself, and the other is metalic shim. What is the function of the second metalic shim? What happens if I take the metal shim out?
According to the FSM, the outer brake pad uses two shims, the inner of the two has slots in it and the outer one is solid which is referred to as an outer shim cover. Like QUAD said, you can experiment with the shims to see if anything helps to reduce the noise.

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,826 Posts
Don't know what the Nissan engineers had in mind about the second shim. It could just be a covering or serve as a damper for undesirable harmonics. Haven't found any documentation on the subject.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts