Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently purchased a brand new Nissan Xtrail with automatic transmission. When I hit the brake pedal for a complete stop of the vehicle, an unpleasant noise is coming from the brakes. The front pads were changed, however the problem was not fixed, the noise is still there.

What may be the cause of this problem and how can it be solved?

Regards,

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Hi Fakay,
Hard to say what it could be as you do not describe a whole lot. What is an unpleasant noise? Are they squealing, making grinding sounds, cyclical rubbing sounds? Also why are you sure its the front brakes? Basically your brakes are calipers, rotors and pads. It should not be that hard to figure out. However, its brand new, so let the dealer fix it. My guess is an improperly fitting brake pad tab that that binds a bit in caliper slides, otherwise maybe caliper itself is slightly defective. Hope they can sort it out for you. Pretty much any mechanic should be able to help you with this. Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Quadraria,

It is of more like a "creaking sound". The noise is coming from the front side. Also, the technicians told me that it should be the front brakes. You can hear the noise even more from outside of the vehicle. The technicians say "it is OK to have this noise", therefore they do not do much about it. However, I believe the noise is not normal. The dealer also claims that the noise is normal. Shall I change the front calipers, disks and pads all together?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Hi Fakay2004
Creaking sounds? My guess then would be more suspension related. Did they examine the front struts and sway links? Its possible things are just settling in so to speak and the sound will disappear after a few more hundred kms. If its anything to do with the pads bedding in, go for a drive and do some hard stops from 80 to 100 km/h but don't fully stop, and give the pads a chance to cool a bit, and then do a few more stops from 60 or so, coming to full stop for about 4 seconds. Should ensure that you have sufficient pad transfer to the rotors.
If the dealer claims its normal, have him go with you for a test drive with another one on the lot. I am sure it wont do the same thing. Good luck dealing with them. No point replacing everything as they are all brand new.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Quadraria,

It is not related to the suspension system for sure. I am not quite sure about the right word to tell the sound, maybe "groaning" would be a better one.

How do I give the pads a chance to cool a bit without stopping ?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Hi Fakay
I guess its hard to describe. Groans and squeaks aren't really the same. Curious why you have ruled out the suspension system, as braking puts it under stress and struts can make a bit of a groaning sound.
Re brake cooling. Just means you are not stepping on the brake pedal and letting air flow over (and inside the vented rotors) so heat is dissipated. All I mean is to wait a minute or a couple of minutes between the hard stops.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Quadraria,

I have ruled out suspension system because the official technical service of Nissan told me that the sound had to do something with the brake-rotor combination. They tell me that the sound occurrs when the brake fully holds the rotor (i.e. disc) and add that the sound is normal. Actually, you can hear similar sound when you move your foot slowly away from the brake pedal.

Today, another mechanic, after hearing the noise from inside and outside of the vehicle, told me that the noise had nothing to do with the braking system, instead he claimed that the noise was coming from the coil spring. Therefore, your initial guess of correlating the noise with the suspension system can be right.

Tomorrow, the mechanic will check my car in details and hopefully we will identify the cause of the noise.

What do you think the mechanic should check in order to understand the cause of the problem?

Regards,

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Hi again fakay
Struts include your coils and top strut mounts, we'll call it the strut assembly. I am sure your mechanic knows what he is doing. Maybe a coil insulator either top or bottom was left out in assembly process, or maybe some bolt was not torqued properly. Maybe by loosening the top center strut bolt and then retorquing it to recommended tension, might allow it to seat better if spring is not quite seated properly. But don't do this yourself if you haven't become familiar with everything and the knowledge to not remove that bolt or back it off held by only a few threads. It's under high tension and could seriously injure you should it fly off and hit you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Quadraria,

Four different mechanics investigated the cause of the noise, and all of them agreed that the noise was coming from the pad and rotor. It is the noise you hear when the pad fully holds onto the rotor. Some mechanics say this noise is normal, some say the noise will go as I drive the car more and more reaching several thousands of km's. Some say the noise is not normal. What a choatic situation :)

Take care,

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Quadraria,

I visited the technical service of Nissan yesterday. The mechanic put some squeal stopper on the front pads. There has been no noise for 4-5 hours and then the noise started again but with a lower level.

What do you thinkl about this?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Hi Fakay
You must be sick of seeing mechanics. Good news that lubricating the back of the shims and the tabs got rid of the groan. Bad news, it seems to be temporary fix. What is happening in my book is that one of your pads or rotors has a hard spot and until it wears down a bit more, it somehow hits the perfect vibration harmony to make the sound you are hearing. Otherwise one of the tabs on the end of the pads is sticking slightly in its guide, and not quite making proper contact with the rotor. This would make it grab slightly and slow the full release between pad and rotor. These tabs could perhaps use a bit of filing down to slide better. And lastly, I think maybe one of the shims that they lubricated might be slightly loose or have shifted a bit out of position. Radical solution might be to just swap out the Nissan front brake pads for another brand of ceramic pad which hopefully come with integrated shims. I noticed RockAuto has pads for yours. Rears are the same as my X trail, Rogues and bunch of Infiniti models, your fronts seem to be same as those from 2009-14 Maxima and a few others based upon the Akebono references. Good luck with it. If you havent done the hard braking, I suggested try that out a few times over the next few days.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Quadraria,

Thank you for your kind suggestions. Today, I tested the car again, and it seems that the noise goes away or reaches a minimum level after I drive the car 10-12 km's. Does this make sense ?

The mechanic also told me that this noise will go after the car reaches 3000-4000 km's of driving. Does this make sense?

Take care,

Fatih

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
I provided a link in your newer thread. But I would wait two or three more weeks to see if it does go away. Otherwise, tell the dealer you did not buy a new vehicle to keep having to bring it back every few days for brake noise. Write a letter to Nissan Japan and contact their client line in your country. Usually replacing rotors and pads should renew proper braking performance. For some reason ( probably a hard spot) yours have a defect. I do not understand why they want to make it seem so mysterious. What does changing one rotor along with the pads cost them? Its minimal good will.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Quadraria,

I have already contacted Nissan Turkey about this noise problem, however they told me that there was nothing wrong with the braking system, and the noise is quite normal. In other words, they do not see the noise as a problem. That is why they do not care much about it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Quadraria,

when i check out the pads on rockauto for my vehicle, i noticed that some pads come with additional hardware called noise elimination clips. I checked out my Xtrail's pads and the pads do not have this hardware. I also checked BMW 5.20's pads and it does have this hardware. Now, I think this is the cause of the noise problem.

I think I should get pads with noise elimination hardware and try them on my Xtrail to see if the noise goes away.

What do you think?

Also, do you think the pads for Xtrail 2014 or Rouge 2015 fit on my Xtrail?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Hi Fakay, Still driving you nuts I see...
When you say noise reduction clips are you referring to the metal clips that go on to the caliper slides and which the ends of the brake pads slide in?
If so, I am sure you already have them. Some better brake pads come with them included, others do not and you either reuse your old ones or buy new ones to replace them.
Regarding the pads, I am really not sure. The picture you sent me showed a type of u end shaped brake pad tabs that may be different from what is being used in North America on the ROGUE.
Brake pads also usually have shims that go on the back of them. In the pics of the pads you sent me, I did not see any. They can be a source of noise. Can't believe no one can figure it out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Quadraria,

I think noise reduction clips (also known as anti-rattle clips) come in different shapes. For example, take a look at the link below. This is something that I do not have in my Xtrail pads. BMW uses such anti-rattle clip.

M A D R U S S I A N . N E T - E46 M3 DIY

Another type of anti-rattle clip is given in the link below. This is integrated on the pad surface. I think my pads do not have this.

https://www.google.com.tr/search?q=...tWKtPa_xwIVgQgsCh0_Ywfo#imgrc=WWZFVI3zpYY1RM:

My pads do not have rubber shims. Instead, Nissan put some sort of metal shim on the back of the pad. I do not know why it is metal. Do you think it is better to use rubber as a shim?

Unfortunately, there are no pads in Europe that I can purchase for my Xtrail 2015.

Nissan dealer says the noise is normal, therefore they do not care much about it.

Do you think the product given on the link below can fix my problem?

CARBON CLEAN TURKEY

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi
Whenever i change pads on my cars ,i use these shims,
they always come with the pads kit.
Know i m trying ceramic pads on the xtrail.
I was tired of seeing metal stuck to the car paint.
Forgot to insert link. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Njc5WDc4MA==/z/4L8AAMXQyY1TVOfg/$_35.JPG

1 - 20 of 83 Posts