Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a question, my brake lights stop working - not the dash light, but when I depress the brake pedal the lights don't come on. I went under the dash and looked at the blue/gray connector and it was fine. I jiggled it and it worked for a bit, then went off in a minute later. Now I tried to jiggle it again and it didn't work.

Does anybody have a fix for this? I know there are several threads on the brake lights staying on when the pedal isn't depressed, but I have the problem that it doesn't come on. The tail lights come on when I flip the light switch, but still the brake lights don't come on when I depress the brakes. Need help! :)

Thanks guys.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,525 Posts
- the brake light switch located on the brake pedal may be bad
- check the ground connections at the back of the car

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rogoman said:
- the brake light switch located on the brake pedal may be bad
- check the ground connections at the back of the car
Hey Rogoman, do you mean the rubberized switch that engages when the pedal is depressed?

·
Locked and Loaded
1,227 Posts
Onizuka said:
Hey Rogoman, do you mean the rubberized switch that engages when the pedal is depressed?
yes, that's the brake light switch. also do what he said, and check the grounds around the lights, and the switch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

I looked under the pedals again and I saw the rubber piece that's connected to the brake pedal. Then I saw the switch that is connected to the brass nut and bolt object, which is probably the sending unit. The sending unit would pop out along with the brake pedal when engaged. I'm guessing it's the little sending unit that's broken since my rubber piece isn't broken.

Anybody have a part number for it?

·
Registered
135 Posts
No part number but I recently got one from Advanced Auto and it was in stock. I think it was $7

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, I've determined that it is the switch / sending unit. I believe it's called the "brake light switch". I just need to pick one up. Seems like the connectors sometimes work because they may just be old and worn. :)

·
Nismophiliac
1,517 Posts
are you sure it's the switch and not that plastic piece the switch pushes against? The plastic piece dries out over time, and crumbles easily. Speaking of which, I have to buy one for myself as well. They're about 3 dollars at a nissan dealership.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, I'm very sure. I looked at the rubber stopper plenty of times and with a flash light too. It's fine. But since I'm going to replace the switch, I'm going to replace the rubber stopper as well.

Here are the part numbers for both:
25320-75A00 Switch Assy $5.80
46512-H0101 Rubber-stopper $0.74

You can get them here:
NissanParts.cc

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, I guess I was wrong. My rubber stopper & switch are fine, it's the connection somewhere between the white plastic insert, blue cupping, and the switch. I believe it's probably the contacts between the white plastic and blue plastic cupping. They went out again tonight, so I went under my car and figitted with the switch, checked the rubber stopper, and then checked the plastic clip ins again. When I pressed in the white and blue plastic pieces, the brake lights worked again.

The white plastic piece does not slip out or unclip from the blue plastic piece. They click in together and the click is audible. However, something isn't making contact sometimes. Anyone know how to secure this contact point so it doesn't come loose again?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Check your trunk area for water..Sometimes condensation from cold weather will cause contacts not to get a good connection. its Rare but if your fuses are good your bulbs are good and the switch is good this might be your problem. If not the brake switch going bad might be going bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tip. I'll check that later tonight. For the time being, I checked it again, it's not white plastic but black plastic that connects into the blue piece. For the time being I've taped it up to help hold it in. We'll see how long this fix works. Looks like I might need to adjust the sensor though (don't know if this is common with 240s), with the pedal slightly depressed the lights don't come on. I have to depress the pedal slightly more for it to actually switch on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Problem is fixed. It was the switch, when I pulled it out, the black spring piece was stuck in the barrel of the bolt. I picked up a new one at the dealership and compared the two. My old one was about 3 mm shorter than the new one :). Plugged it in and everything seems to be in working order. I'll let you guys know if it cuts out in the next week or not :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem, but mine is even more complicated!!!. I have a 2013 Nissan Rogue (old body style). My brake lighting system consists of the two side lights PLUS the long bar on top. When the brake pedal is stepped on, the top bar lights up BUT the side lights do not. BUT when I activate the alarm system via the key-chain, the brake lights flash!!! I checked the light bulbs, the fuse underneath the stearing wheel, the brake switch. Basically, my logic is that i cannot be the bulbs, the lights flash when the alarm is armed. It cannot be the brake switc because the top bar is activated. It cannot be the fuse either, for the same reason, right?

So, what can it be????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue

Udar did you figure it out by chance? I am having the same exact issue with my 2012 Versa Hatchback. My husband checked lights (working), fuse (working). I was thinking it was the switch but you are right, the bar is working fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Versa; having trouble with one brake light not coming on. It's the right (passenger) side brake light. Replaced the brake switch and checked the blub. Any ideas?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts