Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie hear.

Sorry for the long post

2001 Pathfinder LE

Any help would be grateful.

My problem.

The only way to shift out of park is to press the shift lock release. Originally all I had to do was replace the blown fuse(stop lamp) and things would return to normal. Then a few days later or a week later the fuse blows again. This last time, however, it was both my turn signal fuse and stop lamp fuse. Now, however, every time I press on the brake the stop lamp fuse blows.
Running lights work fine, brake bulbs are fine, turn signals not working and brake lights not working. all other lights seem to working properly. Possibly a short?

So I have reviewed many posts regarding shift lock & Brake lights issues but have come to a cross road.

What I tried to do is determine if the brake light switch or shift lock switch was the cause. I didn't know which one was which so I pulled one out and the the blown fuse issue has been resolved but the shift lock, no brake lights and no turn signals continues. What gives? I thought that at least one of my issues would have solved. Currently no blown fuses but still:

No turn signals
No brake lights
Shift lock still presists.

Could it be that both my brake light switch and shift lock switch are bad? If, so then why do my turn signals still not work?

Please help!
Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
354 Posts
an experience form past:
blown fuses or bulbs can be related to alternator performance. i faced similar problems on a BMW, it was loosing tail light bulbs continuously. I installed LED bulbs and i realized that, they sometimes act like strobes!(so fast and intermitently). leds has better reaction times than bulbs so it allowed me to see flickering.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would check to see if maybe the ground wire on the brake switch that is behind the brake pedal has a bare spot and that is what is causing the problem. Hook your test light to to a known hot wire and probe the wire coming from the brake switch. Then press the brake and see if your test light lights up.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I would check to see if maybe the ground wire on the brake switch that is behind the brake pedal has a bare spot and that is what is causing the problem. Hook your test light to to a known hot wire and probe the wire coming from the brake switch. Then press the brake and see if your test light lights up.
or check the shift lock switch, how is the cruise control? is it working?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts