Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thing. It just got really cold here in Crochester and now, my brakes depress all the way down. I have to push it all the way down for it to slow down at all. It's a very dangerous way to drive, but teaches me to drive slower. :) But anyways, what's going on? Flush 'em? Cool. Thakns

Ppeace
CMo

·
Banned
118 Posts
If you can pump the brake pedal and it eventually gets harder or the brake pedal goes down while you brake....you gotta bleed your brakes.

If that dosen't work you might have a leaky master cylinder...

...or a broken brake booster....

·
Registered
321 Posts
it wouldnt be a brake booster because a bad booster would cause an extremely hard pedal.

normally if you have little/no pedal its due to 1) Air in the lines 2)bad master cylinder

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
i have a similar problem, ever since i got the car, but it doesn't get stiffer when pumping. Nor does weather concern it.

when it wants to its nice and firm. but most of the time is soft to downright spongy.

never the less i should check the brake lines someday. when i remember.

·
Registered
53 Posts
mine are spongy also, i tried bleeding them, but that made no difference.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeahm I think it might be that. It doesn't get any firmer when I pump it. It used to work, though. But not since it got freezing cold here. So I'll do it this weekend. But, I've been reading posts, and it seems that Motul600 is more prone to absorb humidity? I want a nice fluid for this cold, snowy weather. Thanks for the help, peeps.

Ppeace
CMo

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
tomd said:
mine are spongy also, i tried bleeding them, but that made no difference.
Did you bleed the rear along with the front brakes? Because alot of people usually forget that, and it makes all the difference in the world to do the rear before the fronts.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
53 Posts
yep, did right rear, left rear, right front, left front, and then went through again for good measure, but it didn't work out as hoped.

·
Registered
339 Posts
cmotek24 said:
Another thing. It just got really cold here in Crochester and now, my brakes depress all the way down. I have to push it all the way down for it to slow down at all. It's a very dangerous way to drive, but teaches me to drive slower. :) But anyways, what's going on? Flush 'em? Cool. Thakns

Ppeace
CMo
That happened to me some weeks ago... when i removed the front discs... also i noticed that the brake pads was about to die so i put a new set, bleed all 4 brakes and that's it, back to normal.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put in new pads all around this summer, and new rear rotors. Only driven it 5k since. So I will bleed them this weekend and see what happens. Thanks guys.

Ppeace
CMo

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AGAIN

It's been 4 weeks since I've had my brakes bled and did not have a problem till last week. I slammed on the brakes at city speeds, then when I braked again for the next turn, it started to depress far down again. It's the same as before, meaning it's firm at almost the farthest point. If I push any harder, or slam on them, then I get these crazy grinding/ slipping noises, but not if I gently press the brakes. So now I have to start braking about twice as early to make my stops. What could be the problem here, then? I don't think the fluid is at fault. I think if i bleed it again, it will be fine, but then when I slam it, I'm thinking the same problem will come back. I don't see ANY leaks. I've already bled the brakes twice since the summer, with new pads all around and new rear rotors. I'll check the front calipers when the snow clears up a little, but any ideas? Thanks guys.

Ppeace
CMo

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I think the master cylinder is shot. This always happens when you push the pedal to the floor. If you converted to the NX 2000 brakes or the rear disc, then you need an altima, nx2000, or SE-R master cylinder. You cannot use the old one if you converted them. If they are stock, then get a new master cylinder.
Chris 92 classic

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I think you are right, like hagasan said. I had the same problem on the family minivan a couple years ago.

Well, I was going to upgrade the brakes to bigger calipers in the near future, so I don't know if I want to change to another oem SE-R M/C. Will it be ok to change to Altima non-ABS M/C even if my brake system components are all SE-R stock right now? Thanks for all your help, peeps.

Ppeace
CMo

·
Registered
17 Posts
what about sliders?? i had the same problem on my car, and took it in to find that the sliders were about shot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts