Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted asking advice and tips on a Nissan 4x4 i was going to look at today. After more than a month of looking at rusted out overpriced Toyota's i started looking at Nissans.

The one i looked at today was a 1995 pickup 4x4. It was by far the best condition for the money in a little truck i had looked at so i bought it.

Its got some things that need to be checked out of course. Tacometer somtimes works, somtimes not, temp guage doesn't work at all etc.. i will check it all out and search the boards for answers later one.

Rode the bike down and hauled it back in the truck on the way back. She did "ok" for a 4 cyl. I did 109 miles straight shot with no stops going from 70mph interstate down to 55(i'm in Iowa) on the way home and i stopped to fill her up and check gas mileage just to see what she got and get a feel for the state of tune of it. She got 20.36mpg. I'm pretty light footed to.

Heres a couple pics of her and my other 2 toys. I think my ATV tires are bigger than on my truck. LOL

Thanks again for helping out the :newbie:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Since you're in the corn belt, I bet finding real gas, as opposed to ethanol blends, is nearly impossible. E10 gives me 15% lower MPG, so I'm glad Ok *finally* passed a law requiring ethanol blends to be labeled on the pump.

Looks like a solid little truck. Prolly been cared for pretty well, considering how nice it appears. Should make for a good long lasting vehicle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since you're in the corn belt, I bet finding real gas, as opposed to ethanol blends, is nearly impossible. E10 gives me 15% lower MPG, so I'm glad Ok *finally* passed a law requiring ethanol blends to be labeled on the pump.

Looks like a solid little truck. Prolly been cared for pretty well, considering how nice it appears. Should make for a good long lasting vehicle.

There are alot of gas stations here that only sell E85 and 10% blends and thats it.
But there are some that still sell 87 octane and 91 with no ethonal and that what i use.
One of the big new ethonal plants was just built 20 miles from here, and another went up about 45 miles from here, so ethonal is big in this area with all the farmers making good money on it.

I like the idea of using less oil etc... but with the gas mileage drop with using ethonal its not worth it.

There has been rumors of all the stations going to 10% blends min here though. :mad: Most people think your crazy for not using the blends because they don't know your vehicle gets worse gas mileage that way.
Also in this area the 10% ethonal blend(which is 89 octane) is about 7-10 cents cheaper a gallon. In my full size chevy its still cheaper to run regular and i expect it to be the same for the Nissan.

It looks a bit better shape in the pics than it really is.
There has been some rust over the rear fender that has been repaired and they did an "ok" job. There blending in is not the best, but i was just happy to not see alot of rust for the money. I've got to look it all over mechanically yet, but so far she seems like a good truck for the money.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
very clean looking, when are the mods coming?

I got this for gas mileage since i could never get out of my steep driveway here in teh sticks without 4x4.

No big mods planned. Tint windows, new stereo and speakers, new exhaust system since this one is pretty much shot, fix temp guage, maybe fix tach if its not to expensive, shocks etc.. mainly up keep.

I would like to black it all out. new black wheels with new tires. Although these tires are in near new shape and i ride my bike about 98% of the time in the spring, summer and fall so i'll probably keep them this year.

I would imagine you could buy black mirrors and door handles, but not sure of sand blasting and painting the bumpers(chrome) would hold up or not?

Biggest project will be to remove the plastic bedliner it has in it and repair all the rust its caused and then put in a spray in liner.

With the liner in there i can't get my ATV in it and i think i could if it wasn't in there. I can see and feel some bad rust spots under it though so we'll see.

# is seeiing of 6.25" speakers can be shoe horned into the doors and get an XM compatible stereo for it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I got this for gas mileage since i could never get out of my steep driveway here in teh sticks without 4x4.

No big mods planned. Tint windows, new stereo and speakers, new exhaust system since this one is pretty much shot, fix temp guage, maybe fix tach if its not to expensive, shocks etc.. mainly up keep.

I would like to black it all out. new black wheels with new tires. Although these tires are in near new shape and i ride my bike about 98% of the time in the spring, summer and fall so i'll probably keep them this year.

I would imagine you could buy black mirrors and door handles, but not sure of sand blasting and painting the bumpers(chrome) would hold up or not?

Biggest project will be to remove the plastic bedliner it has in it and repair all the rust its caused and then put in a spray in liner.

With the liner in there i can't get my ATV in it and i think i could if it wasn't in there. I can see and feel some bad rust spots under it though so we'll see.

# is seeiing of 6.25" speakers can be shoe horned into the doors and get an XM compatible stereo for it.
bumpers you probably find a chrome shop that has plain ones and do a swap, then have them powder coated black. since its your dd, put power acc. for luxury. pathy parts fit right in, including the seats. buckets make a world of difference from the bench.

·
Registered
201 Posts
that bench will eat you alive in ling trips. my 4x2 had bench...a trip to texas hurt!

·
Registered
201 Posts
also if the milage is over 50k seafoam threw the brake booster for love.

when i got mine 2 weeks ageo i did that on the trip home...ohhh man did it need it.

youtube how to do seafoam if not sure

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never thought about doing that with the bumpers to get non chromed ones. good idea.

I thought it was funny it has manual windows and locks, but had power mirrors. LOL
Not sure if i'll mess with that, not much to go wrong with manul stuff. :)
Its really only a daily driver once winter hits, otherwise it will be lucky to get 100 miles a month on it.

Good to know on the pathfinder parts. Do buckets eat up leg room though? Seems like they would and i'm 6'2" and 235lbs so i don't have much leg room as it is. Don't do any long trips anyway. From here to KC(about 120 miles is it).

But I did start to get uncomfortable at the end of the 120 miles on the way home.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also if the milage is over 50k seafoam threw the brake booster for love.

when i got mine 2 weeks ageo i did that on the trip home...ohhh man did it need it.

youtube how to do seafoam if not sure
Heard of seafoam but never used it. And yes she's got 175000 on her.

Heading out now to take the bedliner out to see how rusty she is underneath.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the plastic bed liner has taken its toll on the bed in a few spots.
Both where the bed center and the wheel tub meets.
I'll see if anyone makes some bed patch panels otherwise i'll make my own.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
for the bed, I would look at a junkyard for a good bed or good parts you can cut out. the buckets will be a huge difference, I'm 6'1" and will not go back to the bench. the PWs is really easy to do, the wiring is already in the truck body, you just have to put it in the doors and get the regulators. its all bolt in, no drilling. I took the wiring from a 4 dr pathy and used it. I now have PW, PDL and PM with defrost. you should look into fog lamps as well. pathys will fit right in, I used aftermarket one which are a little larger but still fit where the originals go. the pic will show you what I mean.

·
Registered
201 Posts
WOW time for some chem love

at half a tank pour a bottle of B12 in your tank and run till almost E

replace fuel filter

and/later

slowly pour searfoam threw the brake booster line (hose coming off top right by brake reservoir. will hiss when you pull it) pour slowly as not to kill the motor. when 1/3 is gone dump in there to try and kill motor...if motor don't die turn off at half point *also stick brake booster line back on*(will probably see smoke at this point) let set 5-15 min and start up (give it some gas) when started and running threw the rpm range smooth go and drive it hard till it stops smoking.

use the other half of seafoam in your bike or atv with a squart bottle. or
save it...or your other 4x4. if diesel empty fuel filter and fill with seafoam.

*what a dum ass...yep one guy left it off...so thought i would add*

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
for the bed, I would look at a junkyard for a good bed or good parts you can cut out. the buckets will be a huge difference, I'm 6'1" and will not go back to the bench. the PWs is really easy to do, the wiring is already in the truck body, you just have to put it in the doors and get the regulators. its all bolt in, no drilling. I took the wiring from a 4 dr pathy and used it. I now have PW, PDL and PM with defrost. you should look into fog lamps as well. pathys will fit right in, I used aftermarket one which are a little larger but still fit where the originals go. the pic will show you what I mean.

I think for no bigger than the rust is(just the 2 places) and the outer box looks good, i think i'll just fix it myself. Seems like i have seen some box floor repair peices some place.
I run a CNC plasma cutter at work, so i may just cutout my own peices from scrap since it won't cost me anything but time. And i have more time than $$$.

I'll have to look for some bucket seats then.
Nice wheeling pic by the way! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW time for some chem love

at half a tank pour a bottle of B12 in your tank and run till almost E

replace fuel filter

and/later

slowly pour searfoam threw the brake booster line (hose coming off top right by brake reservoir. will hiss when you pull it) pour slowly as not to kill the motor. when 1/3 is gone dump in there to try and kill motor...if motor don't die turn off at half point *also stick brake booster line back on*(will probably see smoke at this point) let set 5-15 min and start up (give it some gas) when started and running threw the rpm range smooth go and drive it hard till it stops smoking.

use the other half of seafoam in your bike or atv with a squart bottle. or
save it...or your other 4x4. if diesel empty fuel filter and fill with seafoam.

*what a dum ass...yep one guy left it off...so thought i would add*

B12 is a fuel injection cleaner or somthing?
And seafoam through the booster hose would be just to get some full streanth seafoam into the intake and injectors to clean it up? correct?
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
201 Posts
for the most part... only way to clean the intake...and wow what a diff that can make.

b12 works so good i've seen it clog...that's why i always say replace...most people don't...so always a good thing to do. best fuel line, tank, injector cleaner I've found.

if neather have been done that 175k you should see more power and i would say 1.5+ in mpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
for the most part... only way to clean the intake...and wow what a diff that can make.

b12 works so good i've seen it clog...that's why i always say replace...most people don't...so always a good thing to do. best fuel line, tank, injector cleaner I've found.

if neather have been done that 175k you should see more power and i would say 1.5+ in mpg

ok, i'll go pick some up tommorrow and try it out this weekend.

This truck came from a mom and pop dealer, and he got it from a Toyota dealer, so no history on it at all. So i'm just going to check and replace things as i see fit i guess.

so far the list is:

oil and filter
front and rear diff fluid
Tranny and transfer case fluid, and any filters if they have any?
Check air filter, replace if needed.
Check the code in the ECU and fix whatever is settign it off(check engine light comes on and off intermitantly)
replace temp sensor
replace shocks
radiator fluid flush
belts look fairly new
See if the O2 sensor looks super old and replace if it does
Run the B12 through the brake booster hose
check cap, rotor, plugs, wires
replace exhuast system. maybe even cat too.

i'm sure other things as well, but thats my list so far.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts