Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 97 sentra with a 1.6, 5 speed. The motor cooling fans dont turn on, even if I let it run for 1/2 hr. The temp. goes to 1/2 on the gauge. The only time I can get the fans to come on is if I turn on the A/C. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi, I have a 97 sentra with a 1.6, 5 speed. The motor cooling fans dont turn on, even if I let it run for 1/2 hr. The temp. goes to 1/2 on the gauge. The only time I can get the fans to come on is if I turn on the A/C. Any help would be great.
If your motor doesn't hit about 180, then they won't turn on. They basically turn on when the motor gets hot, which it sounds like your's isn't. Running the car at idel isn't the best test. Drive it around and see if it gets hotter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, will drive around and check to see if fans come on. I did remove and clean contacts on the relays and check plugs that i could get to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Disconnect the fan wire plug. Run a jumper wire directly from the battery to the fan. make sure polarity is correct. If the fan comes on, it is OK. If not, a replacement motor is $40. Takes about an hour to swap out. The fan on the driver side only works when the AC is on. The right one is engine cooling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply, both fans work with the AC turned on. I think the fans ran when I was driving today. But by the time I pulled over to check they where not moving, and temp. here today is 20 degrees. At least the car is not overheating.

·
Registered
505 Posts
thanks for the reply, both fans work with the AC turned on. I think the fans ran when I was driving today. But by the time I pulled over to check they where not moving, and temp. here today is 20 degrees. At least the car is not overheating.
Just keep an eye on the gauge. You would be overheating for sure even if it was 5 degrees out if the fans weren't working.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cooling fans

The fans are auxiliary, meaning they come on when the engine gets too hot. they are thermostatically controlled. At 20* they will not run unless you are in some extreme situation like sitting in line at the bank drive thru with the engine idling.

If you have determined that they both run, then you don't have a problem.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
The fans are wired differently for Auto vs Manual cars. see FSM EC 548 in the 97 FSM
Autos have two circuits, one for each fan, manuals have one circuit for both fans!!
Also the Auto has a two speed fans, manuals have one speed Fans.
Also despite the confusion with the naming, the rad and Condenser are both under both fans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are correct about the manual having one speed fans. You are wrong about the manual having one circuit for both fans. If we are talking about a '96 model, the fans are on individual circuits. If you got that info from the FSM, it is not correct.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
You are correct about the manual having one speed fans. You are wrong about the manual having one circuit for both fans. If we are talking about a '96 model, the fans are on individual circuits. If you got that info from the FSM, it is not correct.
deaaa reports above his fans run together
Well the FSM says so, and my 97 GA and SR both fans are on with the A/C

·
Registered
6 Posts
my car is the same...
the only time it turns on is when i turn on my a/c or just the fan...
thats because the fans for our cars only turn on when the engine is overheated or if your using the a/c...
don't worry there's nothing wrong with it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts