Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the SR20 S13 Redtop running 86mm pistons, would you have to sleeve the block if you bored it .20 over? (86.5mm pistons) Or is that more "just to be safe"? I know you HAVE to sleeve it with 87mm pistons. Being it an aluminum block and all...

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mekanik22 said:
With the SR20 S13 Redtop running 86mm pistons, would you have to sleeve the block if you bored it .20 over? (86.5mm pistons) Or is that more "just to be safe"? I know you HAVE to sleeve it with 87mm pistons. Being it an aluminum block and all...

Thanks guys.
You don't have to sleeve it to bore it 0.5mm (0.02") over. I did this with my shortblock, and am using 86.5mm CP pistons.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The SR20 block should be bored with a torque plate bolted on to factory specs for the head. If this is not done, when the head is bolted on, the bores will become slightly out of round.

Lew

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"The SR20 block should be bored with a torque plate bolted on to factory specs for the head."

What is a torque plate, where does it attach, and where can I get one?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Mekanik22 said:
What is a torque plate, where does it attach, and where can I get one?
It is a thick metal plate drilled for all the head bolts and cylinders. It is tightened to the block like a head to produce the same stresses on the block as the head would.

To be best of my knowledge, they are not commercially available for the SR20. Jim Wolf Technology has one they use for building engines. Try contacting them.

Lew

·
Locked and Loaded
1,227 Posts
so does JGY customs. and they do the services too.

·
Pivot 180
2,258 Posts
The SR block actually twists slightly when the head is attached. The torque plate simulates this twist. If you dont use it when machining, the bores will be out of round when you put the head on and the engine will pop. So when the torque plate is removed and the block is free of any load, the bores are actually slightly out of round.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts