Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
little rookie question here. i just started to get into engines and something has been bugging me. do those speed chips that i see all over ebay really give a possible +15-20 hp?? That sounds a bit harmful for the engine to me but they say it's not but I don't trust them. I was wondering if anyone has tried them and experinced any trouble. Also is there something I can do to my sadly stock engine to get some hp without spending so much $$$. It sucks paying for college and trying to get into cars at the same time. Heh

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
creature0077 said:
little rookie question here. i just started to get into engines and something has been bugging me. do those speed chips that i see all over ebay really give a possible +15-20 hp?? That sounds a bit harmful for the engine to me but they say it's not but I don't trust them. I was wondering if anyone has tried them and experinced any trouble. Also is there something I can do to my sadly stock engine to get some hp without spending so much $$$. It sucks paying for college and trying to get into cars at the same time. Heh
Trust your gut. Those "chips" suck and you may as well send me your $20 as you will be getting the same reuslt and that is NOTHING. HP is NOT CHEAP, if you wan tto make real power it will cost you real $$$. There are a few inexpensive things you can do.

Advanced timing, however you should run prepmium fuel to be safe.

Intake such as a K & N drop in or a JWT pop charger

Exhaust can be done relatively cheap. Pacesetter makes an inexpensive exhaust, the piping is good however the muffler itself sucks.

Start with those and you'll be on your way.

If you have questions about those items search the forums and also head over to www.sentra.net and read the tech. section. You will learn a LOT about your car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
creature0077 said:

lol i bought one just because they where $2 free shipping. they wont even work on the sentra or at least mine because it dosent have a intake temp sensor......all it does is make your car think that your intake is sucking in cold air. dont by it i just laughed when i got it then threw it away!

·
Registered
851 Posts
ditch the pacesetter idea. go with hotshot for the header / exhaust.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Or an even cheaper route and a better sounding result, buy a Magnaflow muffler. Have your local muffler shop put a 2" (nothing bigger), crush bent cat-back in for ya. Then use the Magnaflow for the muffler.
The mufflers run around $100, and the crush bent exhaust runs around $60-$90.

The best bang for your buck, and the most you will feel ou tof any cheap nod would be the advancing your timing. Click here to find out how to advance your timing. The only thing you will need to spend money on is renting a timing light if you dont have one, and using 91 or higher octane gas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhh thanks guys. I'll check out that stuff and get started on my car hopefully. I plan to get new suspensions and drop it 2 inches for a little better handling. I want new rims because the ones that came with it will look funny when it's dropped. My only probably with playing with the car is money so I'm going to plan everything and take it easy. Lucky me, my dad has a huge shop with metalwork tools for me to play with. I just never tried my skills to cars and engines. Ohh, how about a little something different... I can fabricate pretty much any shape so is there anything i can make out of metal that would help the engine? Like a different air intake or whatever?

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
If you look below in my sig, I have an easy tutorial on how to fabricate your own Cold Air Intake extention for uner $60. Im sure you could do that.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Do you have to take out your aftermarket CAI for state inspections? I read somewhere in one of the old posts that someone had to.. is this a legal thing or what?

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
I live in California, we have some of the most strict emmision laws. I have never once failed a visual test because of my CAI. So you should be just fine.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Alright, thanks. I was also wondering what involves a full custom-made CAI, not just the extention (I'm referring to the one on your cardomain site).. think it's possible to do it just by eye-balling and recreating some elements? I do have welding supplies available, btw.

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
Ricepwrd said:
Check out www.vrsexhaust.com, thats where I got my 2.5 in cat-back
(mandrel bent) for $420 shipped.
thats big for a 1.6 and also thats pretty expensive for a cat back, i just had my 2" madrel bent done for 160 at Dicks Tire Haus

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
hell the Stromung exhaust isn't much more then that.

Anyways, you can get it done pretty cheaply if you look around.

heres what I will be running soon.

HS header - bought used off here from 200$
Sr20 Cat - Bought used off the sr20 board for $50
Stromung 2" exhaust w/o2 and res - Bought in group buy for $450

also you can get the 3" filters and adaptor plates off ebay for around $20 shipped if you don't wanna do the full CAI. and if you have problems with passing emmsisions testing, it takes just a few minutes to attach the airbox back on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nostrodomas said:
I live in California, we have some of the most strict emmision laws. I have never once failed a visual test because of my CAI. So you should be just fine.
Side track abit. Do you know there's VTC in our GA16DE and is there anyway to control it?

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Nisyoko said:
Side track abit. Do you know there's VTC in our GA16DE and is there anyway to control it?
the JWT ecu opptomizes the VTC on our motors, otherwise there is no effective way to control it. It does not make enough power or enough of a difference to warrant an external controller. JWT simply does this to optomize VTC with other mods. SPecifically the VTC pulls pulls advance around 6000 rpm's, JWT keeps this from happening to make top end a little better. The difficult part is that this is only on the intake cam and controlled by the ECU, so the minimal gains you would get by doing this on a relatively stock motor is not worth the trouble of making something to control the VTC.

·
Registered
38 Posts
91sentra said:
thats big for a 1.6 and also thats pretty expensive for a cat back, i just had my 2" madrel bent done for 160 at Dicks Tire Haus
I got that size just because i'm planning on going turbo sometime this year.
(hopefully soon) As for the price, I couldn't find a shop here that did mandrel
bends. So I got real tired of searching and just bit the bullet, but its ok cause
I'm happy w/ the product. :thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
wes said:
the JWT ecu opptomizes the VTC on our motors, otherwise there is no effective way to control it. It does not make enough power or enough of a difference to warrant an external controller. JWT simply does this to optomize VTC with other mods. SPecifically the VTC pulls pulls advance around 6000 rpm's, JWT keeps this from happening to make top end a little better. The difficult part is that this is only on the intake cam and controlled by the ECU, so the minimal gains you would get by doing this on a relatively stock motor is not worth the trouble of making something to control the VTC.

I see... thanks for the info... that really save me some $$$ ... kekeke.. thx again...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts