Nissan Forum banner

boost controller hook-up

4K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Zen31ZR 
#1 ·
hey guys i just went out and bought a manual boost controller for the 300zx and I figured you guys could tell me a few things about installing it to save on having it installed "professionally". first question : how do I put this thing on? and second : about how much time does this take to put on? thanks a lot.

#12 ·
SKD_Tech said:
Well first I wouldn't trust the one you had, and the stock one only reads to 7PSI so you better hold off for a bit.
BZZT!!! Stock gauge reads to 13.5 psi. But they are not very good.

You should get a full sweep gauge so you can better read the numbers.

#18 ·
hondakillerZX said:
what is a full sweep gauge?
I don't recall seeing a boost gauge that isn't full sweep, but I'll use the oil pressure as an example.

Full sweep:

Partial sweep:

#19 ·
Partial sweep guages are mostly for applications that don't require much movement, and display more constant information. Oil pressure, voltage, coolant temperature.....that sort of thing.

Full sweep guages are more in general use for things that change constantly. Boost pressure, EGT, rpm, etc. And requires more area to accurately display those changes, which can vary more widely.

So yes, it's more likely than not that a boost guage would be full sweep. Even one that does not also display vacuum.

#23 · (Edited)
so to install the boost gauge I just open up the center (under the gauges ) , take off the old gauge and replace it with the new gauge? can I use the existing wires and conections or do I have to modify something? sorry guys for all the questions but im a 17 year old kid who loves his Z and finally got enough money to do some stuff.
by the way I think someone should sticky this, these are musts have mods for the turbo Z's.

#24 · (Edited)
you'll have to run a hose from the plenum to the gauge itself depending on what kind of gauge you get. The gauges typically come with instructions.

#25 ·
hondakillerZX said:
so to install the boost gauge I just open up the center (under the gauges ) , take off the old gauge and replace it with the new gauge? can I use the existing wires and conections or do I have to modify something? sorry guys for all the questions but im a 17 year old kid who loves his Z and finally got enough money to do some stuff.
by the way I think someone should sticky this, these are musts have mods for the turbo Z's.
Boost guage installation is fairly rudimentary at best. If you wished to install it in the old stock guage location, such as me and Todd and a few others have done, and did a write up, then it might be worthy of a sticky....... ;) I installed my boost guage in the stock location, retaining most of the old housing as well, but with a few changes. You may wish to check under my name in the gallery to see what was done. :)

#26 ·
B@lliZtiK said:
Boost guage installation is fairly rudimentary at best. If you wished to install it in the old stock guage location, such as me and Todd and a few others have done, and did a write up, then it might be worthy of a sticky....... ;) I installed my boost guage in the stock location, retaining most of the old housing as well, but with a few changes. You may wish to check under my name in the gallery to see what was done. :)
maybe like.....here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.