Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just went out and bought a manual boost controller for the 300zx and I figured you guys could tell me a few things about installing it to save on having it installed "professionally". first question : how do I put this thing on? and second : about how much time does this take to put on? thanks a lot.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
that link is really helpful man thanks. what is a safe normal everyday driving setting (psi) with no intercooler, i cant afford to buy a new engine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
hondakillerZX said:
that link is really helpful man thanks. what is a safe normal everyday driving setting (psi) with no intercooler, i cant afford to buy a new engine.
You should really get an aftermarket boost gauge...I wouldn't trust the stock one worth crap...read this.....oh and the best MBC write up for the Z31 is Here

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Well first I wouldn't trust the one you had, and the stock one only reads to 7PSI so you better hold off for a bit.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i think i'll just wait to install it. now i need to find an orange guage to match the others.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
quick question. what psi did you boost to before your clutch started slipping skd.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
It held 10 PSI for about 2 weeks then started slipping. Now it depends on weather conditions if it'll hold or not

·
Z31 know-it-all
1,023 Posts
SKD_Tech said:
Well first I wouldn't trust the one you had, and the stock one only reads to 7PSI so you better hold off for a bit.
BZZT!!! Stock gauge reads to 13.5 psi. But they are not very good.

You should get a full sweep gauge so you can better read the numbers.

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
Its pretty easy..........and you dont have to get an amber gauge, just get amber 194 bulbs to light them

·
Z31 know-it-all
1,023 Posts
hondakillerZX said:
what is a full sweep gauge?
I don't recall seeing a boost gauge that isn't full sweep, but I'll use the oil pressure as an example.

Full sweep:

Partial sweep:

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Partial sweep guages are mostly for applications that don't require much movement, and display more constant information. Oil pressure, voltage, coolant temperature.....that sort of thing.

Full sweep guages are more in general use for things that change constantly. Boost pressure, EGT, rpm, etc. And requires more area to accurately display those changes, which can vary more widely.

So yes, it's more likely than not that a boost guage would be full sweep. Even one that does not also display vacuum.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Well the one I ripped out of my 87 GL-L sure as hell only went up to 7psi.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts