Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I replaced my ignition barrel and got a new key. After I plugged in the new ignition with new key and start, the car would only crank but will not start. Took the new ignition barrel and the old key to a locksmith and was told that there was no transponder in the old key.

I even tried starting the car with the new key and holding the old key closer to the ignition barrel as seen in some youtube videos, but still won't start [Incase the old key does have a transponder] . Not sure how to proceed. I did not rekey the ignition barrel to the old key as the car did not start after holding it closer to the barrel.

My thinking is that if there is no transponder, the car should start with new ignition and new key.
If there is a transponder in the old key, the car should start with new ignition and new key after holding the old key next to the ignition barrel. I am not sure if it an issue with something else. Appreciate any help on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If the car has an IMMU (transponder), it will be a separate ring-shaped part with an electrical connector, with the ring fitting around the cylinder. It should look something like this:
Motor vehicle Wheel Parallel Auto part Drawing

If you don't have that, then there's no NATS/NVIS system in the car. If that's the case, then the problem is most likely a blown fuse or ignition switch issue that happened during the repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi VStar650CL thank you for the reply. Just an update, I recoded the new ignition to the old key. It still will not start but only crank. I check all the fuses under the steering wheel right bottom as well. They seem to be good.

Could it be the immobilizer?

Font Number Pattern Monochrome photography Monochrome

I tried the above as well, did not work as well. A bit confused as to what may be the issue.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Is the security light on? If the car has smart keys and the security system is causing the issue, you should have a solid security light whenever the key is on. If not, the key isn't causing the issue. Check the fuses under the hood and not just the ones under the dash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no security light in my car. I had to replace the ignition because it was broken into. However, I had disconnected the battery when they tried to steal my car. That is why I think they could not take it.

I did try starting the car with the new key and the new ignition before recoding to the old key. Not sure if this tripped some kind of security feature.

I did check most of the fuses under the hood as well. I am planning on buying a scanner to check the error code.

Could the below be the issue? I think this does not plug into the ignition properly.

Finger Nail Thumb Tool Wrist

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If there's no security light then there's no NVIS in your car, so I'm not sure what you meant by "recoding" the new key. If there's no NVIS then there's nothing to code. In any case, go back to basics, spark and fuel. You can check the latter easily by spraying some Brakleen or Gumout down the barrel past the air filter. If the car starts and then quits, then you know the issue is low or no fuel delivery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts