Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Nissan pathfinder blue smoke on cold start I have miss two oil change I have had two oil changes since it started to just catch up but still blue smoke on start up

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,767 Posts
how many miles on the vehicle and how many miles between the oil changes when you "skipped" services?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,772 Posts
What's the total miles showing on your odometer? If you accumulated only 8,000 mi between "skipped" oil changes, you should be OK depending on the type of motor oil that you're using. Fully synthetic oil is better on your engine and has fewer impurities, it can go longer than conventional oils or synthetic blends. Conventional oils generally require oil changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Synthetic oil change intervals range 10,000-15,000 miles or once a year (whatever comes first). How often do you check the oil level; if the oil level drops below the bottom mark on the dip stick, it could hurt the engine.

If you got a lot of miles on the engine, you may have worn valve stem seals or worn cylinder rings causing blue smoke.

A good way to test for oil burning is to first fully warm up the motor. Stand behind the car. Have someone rev the engine to 4,000 RPM and hold at that RPM for about 15 seconds. If you see a lot of blue smoke come out of the tailpipe, the engine is burning excessive oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have put 5 oil changes on there back to back at 300 miles the smokes stops after I get a oil change for about 3 days then I start to see it again so do I keep on with the frequent oil changes until it stops completely

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have put five oil change back to back at 300 miles 4and 5 smoke stopped but came back after 3or 4 days do I continue to put oil change until it stops completely Firestone use to do my oil changed but I don't trust that anymore so I buy my on oil and let someone else do it while I'm standing there watching because my engine should not have gotten that dirty like this so now I know exactly whats oil is going in my vehicle

·
6,772 Posts
You didn't answer my question; What's the total miles showing on your odometer and what type of oil are you using; conventional or synthetic and what viscosity ? Do the smoke test I recommended -> A good way to test for oil burning is to first fully warm up the motor. Stand behind the car. Have someone rev the engine to 4,000 RPM and hold at that RPM for about 15 seconds. If you see a lot of blue smoke come out of the tailpipe, the engine is burning excessive oil. Let us know of your result.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is 65000 miles on it I was getting oil changed at Firestone they were multi grad oil the tailpipe test has already been performed no smoking

·
6,772 Posts
There is 65000 miles on it I was getting oil changed at Firestone they were multi grad oil the tailpipe test has already been performed no smoking
If you're only getting blue smoke at cold startup, then it might be worn valve stem seals. What happens here is when the engine is shut off over a long period of time, residue oil in the valve chamber works it's way past the worn valve stem seals and ends up either in the combustion chamber or the under side of a valve(s). Then when the engine is started, extra oil is burned off making your smoke.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts