Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Damn mine just went on my lunch break. Only have fan speed 4! Cool thing is thats what i usually use bc its 90* friggen degrees out! Just ordered a new resistor for $26 shipped. Better fix it damn it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Blower Resistor

I had similar experience and found that it is critical to place the repaired or new resistor in the slot under the dash. When you place it in the correct "SLOT" under the dash there is a stream of cool air that blows over the resistor to help keep it cool. I bought a new one and placed it on the floor "hooked up of course" and it became quite hot and blew within minutes. I soldered the old one and placed it back under the dash and ensured it was in the plastic slot so the cool air can run over it to help cool it during speeds 1, 2, and 3. It's been working for two years now with no problems. What a poor design by Nissan!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got my new resistor today at lunch. It came in 3 days, pretty good stuff!

Anyway, I put it in and when I was doing so, there is a black little hose right next to it that was deattached that I put back on facing upwards. Does anyone know what this is and I assume its suppose to be attached!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought my 93 B13 used in spring of 98. They tried to sell it to me with a messed up blower resistor. Of course, having owned this car forever now - and never had another problem with the resistor - I see that it's not a big deal. Over the years this has come up in various forums Sentra related and it's always the blower resistor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Resistor blew and i tried to repair it by soldering a resisitor on the board but it blew again , in the end i went to Nissan parts and paid £24 the resistor has been modified and i have not had a problem for 6 months

·
Registered
13 Posts
I finally got around to replacing my resistor and presto! When I bought the car it only every worked on 4 so it is nice to have a fully functional fan :D.
My 94 SE-R was the exact same way. Went to auto zone and paid $14.00 for a new one. So easy I think I did it in about 20 seconds. Works great on all speeds now.

And sometimes you can see a bad resistor. Looks like a burn mark. Mine looked fine. Just old with Japanese all over it that said do not re-wire or something like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's amazing how simple some solutions to some of the issues I have had are!
well if your lucky (or not depends on how you look at it) and you have owned or worked on cars like this they are very simple. There isn't much to them. I think the most complicated part is the motor itself but after you figure that out a DOHC 16 Valve motor is pretty cool. I've owned an 87 GTI and a 91 GLI and I think I had to work on them every day just to drive them!

These cars are not that hard to perform all the maintenance on IMO

·
Registered
45 Posts
i've had my blower resister work on speed 4 for the longest time til it quit on me. i didnt know what to change til just recently. i got 4 blower resisters from the junk yard (4 for the price of 1 if you all know what i mean ;P) and none of them had the burned mark that mine did which to me indicated that they all should have worked on all speeds. but all of them work on speed 4 only. how can i test the resistors them selves to find out if indeed the resisters are all bad or if there is something else wrong that i need to fix?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If it's only working on the highest speed, that means it's not using the resistor to decrease power which in turn means that your resistor is indeed bad so the one from the junkyard is also bad. The resistor is only used for all the other speeds except "high". Buy a new one, it's not that expensive - should be around $20-$30 depending on your car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
('92 sentra se) i cracked open my blower resister just to see how it works and all it is, is metal strips inside. how do this things go bad to the point that only one selected speed works? such a simple device... can these be fixed if ever? i've yet to go buy one at the store. but since i got 4 of these at the junk yard, i wanted to konw if i can fix these myself. that way, i would have 1 replaced and 3 spare ones.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
('92 sentra se) i cracked open my blower resister just to see how it works and all it is, is metal strips inside. how do this things go bad to the point that only one selected speed works? such a simple device... can these be fixed if ever? i've yet to go buy one at the store. but since i got 4 of these at the junk yard, i wanted to konw if i can fix these myself. that way, i would have 1 replaced and 3 spare ones.
Does your blower still work on the highest speed or no?

Here's a link to explain how they work and how to check for failures:

How Does a Blower Work in a Car? | eHow.com

·
Registered
111 Posts
To reduce the speed of the blower, the blower resistor must "resist" the flow of electricity to the blower. One of the byproducts of electrical resistance is heat, which breaks down the materials of the resistor over time. The reason why only speed 4 works is the resistor doesn't provide any resistance against the supply of power on that setting, since it's supposed to be "full speed". This means that the circuit for speed 4 doesn't encounter the heat resulting from resistance like the other 2 speeds, allowing it to last longer.

EDIT: I remember reading somewhere that you are not supposed to run power through the blower resistor until you're done installing it. What I mean is, when you have everything taken apart and you have the new resistor plugged in, don't turn on the blower until you have everything back together. The resistor relies on air from the blower to cool it, and leaving it laying on the floorboard while testing it will burn it up. As I said, I just read it somewhere, so perhaps they aren't actually that sensitive. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yes, all the resistors that i got all work on speed 4 only. i wanted to know if i could fix them myself if ever. i did read the link on eHow.com by the way, thanks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
yes, all the resistors that i got all work on speed 4 only. i wanted to know if i could fix them myself if ever. i did read the link on eHow.com by the way, thanks.
hmmm, possible but hardly likely that all 4 resistors are bad, maybe something else is screwy and we're looking in the wrong direction.........

·
Registered
45 Posts
hmmm, possible but hardly likely that all 4 resistors are bad, maybe something else is screwy and we're looking in the wrong direction.........
that's what i thought at one point, but what else could it be? that's why, another reason i wanted to know how (if ever) i could fix the ones that i got, was to make my troubleshooting easier.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts