Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out in a previous thread that the blower resistor might be the reason my fan only works on setting 4. The question now is should the blower still work if the plug that attaches to the resistor is disconnected? Are there any visible signs that the resistor is toast? I'd hate to buy a new one and find out that it's not the problem.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I ventured out by saying maybe it's common with these cars, but others seem to disagree.

yws, when you disconnect that resistor, the fan will work, but only on #4. the resistor can be checked with an ohmmeter against factory specs, but I'd lay any money on that being the problem. sometimes if you look at the resistor circuit board you can even see a burned-out section. anyway, it's an easy enough fix that it really doesn't need to get technical.

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
The only reason it might be getting to be more common is because of the age these vehicles are reaching.

::::EDIT:::::::

Nissan has changed the design of the resistor so the one you buy and the one you take out WILL NOT look the same.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Blower Motor Resistors are very common on these cars, at my work I sell two a week on average for B13's and B14's. As stated earlier there is a new part number for these which is a "updated design" Nissanparts2u.com has them for discounted prices!

·
Registered
115 Posts
B13boy said:
Blower Motor Resistors are very common on these cars, at my work I sell two a week on average for B13's and B14's. As stated earlier there is a new part number for these which is a "updated design" Nissanparts2u.com has them for discounted prices!
The B13 king has spoken:

Blower Motor Resistor for $18

·
Registered
8 Posts
Blower Motor Resistor keeps blowing!

I have a 1999 Nissan pathfinder. The blower motor resistor blows and I have no function on settings one, two and three.... only on high. So I replace the resistor and it blows again in a few days. I solder the old one and get a week out of it and it blows again. I noticed that on speeds 1, 2 and 3 the resistor is very hot to the touch. Is this normal? I replaced the switch and tried a new motor. Still, the resistor is very hot on speeds 1, 2, and 3. I replace the Blower Switch Relay and still the resistor gets hot on speeds 1, 2, and 3. On setting 4, the resistor is not hot to the touch. Where the hell do I go from here.

Frustrated!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I ALSO have this problem in my car and its been that way for years now. I just got used to the all or nothing deal. Ok, could someone post a picture of where this part is that needs to be changed or better yet, post their source for finding diagrams of parts or suggest which Manual I get.

·
Registered
115 Posts
JRinke said:
I ALSO have this problem in my car and its been that way for years now. I just got used to the all or nothing deal. Ok, could someone post a picture of where this part is that needs to be changed or better yet, post their source for finding diagrams of parts or suggest which Manual I get.
It's not that hard, once you get under the glovebox you will see it. There are 2 screws and you should be able to pull out the resistor. I replaced it along with the blower motor switch. I too waited a while, but when my heater stopped working on fan speed 4 also, I knew I had to replace the resistor AND switch. I was very cold for about a week.

·
Registered
51 Posts
JRinke said:
It's in the passenger footwell bolted to the outside wall under the dash. Big ass wires and a connector. Two screws and it's out. Looks like a credit card attatched to a connector. The new one will look slightly different.

Easy enough that I have done it twice (in 170K). Which means anyone could do it. Seriously, I have zero mechanical skills.

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
Also..be SURE you have the new one in before you test it. The air flowing over the resistor cools it. If you turn on the fan before you install it you'll blow it because it will overheat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is what i pulled out

This is what came when i ordered the resistor.

so did i get the wrong part? or am i missing something?
i ordered straight from that link above, and i read that the new resistor will be different but the connectors are not the same as the old one. does any one have a part # for this resistor? I have a 92 XE.

·
Registered
71 Posts
mine will work on all the settings (93 sentra) except if I push it all the way to the right. Very iritating because if I'm in position 4 and drive over a bump, it'll move that extra 1/16 inch and I have to push it bak over. Is there a simple fix for this or should I just put Bondo in the track to prevent it from going over that far?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stupid me, I should have read and searched first. This morning I went to the junkyard to get a new BLOWER MOTOR, got one paid 13 bucks for it, pretty damn cheap. Plugged it in and the blower motor is in perfect condition and works but still only blows on 4. Now that I know it is the BLOWER RESISTOR, im going tomorrow morning to smuggle a couple resistors or just pay for them. But, I did check my resistor now and it looks perfectly fine. No melted wires, no cut wires, no nothing, looks pretty good. Does the resistor show any signs of failure or what? Plus, how can a simple plastic piece of S*** cause this problem? And also, how do I put the new resistor in? Any tricks or just straightforward?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 95 nissan truck xe 4x4. I looked under the glove box and passenger wall cannt find the resister? Looked in aftermarket book chilton not in there. Looked under Ac/heat found blower motor not resister. Had to order from autozone. Am I just not looking good enough or is it in a different place. Thanks for your help. (95 nissan resister replace ment)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Umm, I dont mean to be mean, but this is a Sentra thread so I dont think a lot of people know too much about trucks but i could be wrong. As for some advice about finding the resistor, just keep looking in the general area of your ECU, its got to be there somewhere.

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
You should be asking your blower resistor queston in the truck section of the forum. I'm not sure where your resistor is located. usually they are easy to find but every once in a while they can be hiden behind something.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts