Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Pathfinder
3.3L, auto trans, 4x4

I need to install a block heater. I live in Alaska, it has been -40 below zero for 3 weeks straight now. Car not wanting to start (neither am I!)...

Went to dealership to buy the factory/recommended heater. Parts staff told me the frost plugs are not reachable on this vehicle and the front axle must be removed to install.

Is this true? I looked undernieth real quick one day, found a visible frost plug, but its up in there pretty good..

Has anyone done one of these before? If not, what else do you recommend?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

It already has a 75 watt silicone pad heater on the oil pan. Also has a 50 watt pad heater on the battery.. So those areas are good but the block still stays frozen... :( I tried a magnetic heater (200w) but I was never able to find a good location to attach it (aluminum)...

·
Registered
200 Posts
i dont know if this would work but try taking a heating pad that you use on your body when your sore and put that on the block and put it on hi. that might help keep it warmer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well its better then having your pathy not start
no, its not better, because it wont help at all. its minus 40 man. piss freezes before it hits the ground at this temperature... maybe ill just wrap an electric blanket around my entire city and then we wont have to deal with winter anymore. oh wait, that might not work either?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts