Nissan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen and read in other posts of people blacking out their tails and i was wondering if you could black out the headlamp?If this is possible, how would it affect your visibility or would that depend on how black you made them and what kind of paint would you use?Thanks

·
Gotta Represent
403 Posts
you can use the same paint that you use to black out your taillights on your headlights. the paint that you would use is VHT NITE SHADES. this can be found at some auto stores, but i got it on ebay. i think that it would kind of dim you headlights, but not to much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you pull the headlamp apart and paint it like that or just paint the outside and let it go?Does anyone have any pictures of what this would look like during the day and night?

·
Gotta Represent
403 Posts
you would paint the outside of the headlamp, not the outside.. if you paint the inside, then your bulb would not reflect as well as it normally would(chrome reflects great,black doesnt) so i would paint outside.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
They sell tinting paint you can spray on there, but I honestly don't think it would look good one bit, it wouldn't be smooth or shiny, your headlights would prolly jus look grey-ish. As you can imagine, tinting your headlights WILL reduce the light output, it's no difference than tinting your windows. It's also something you might get crap about from the popo.

Anyway, the only thing I would ever suggest is these:

from www.liuspeedtuning.com

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey i know it's not a nissan, but i sprayed my lights and i think they look nice and cops don't say nothing to me.

the sprayed blackouts

Lights on no problem with light output.
Also if you guys use that stuff from japan, it wipes right off with some thinner so don't be afraid to mess-up. Once you got them the way you like them wetsand them a lil and spray some clear coat on them, they will last you forever.

"Edit" notice my metro nissan sign on the second pic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have to use Nite Shades or could you use something like krylon semi gloss or something of that nature?Do you have to pull the headlight off or could you just tape it all off and spray just the light?

How many coats did you use smodster3o3 and it didn't decrease ur visibility at night?Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
white_chocolate said:
Do you have to use Nite Shades or could you use something like krylon semi gloss or something of that nature?Do you have to pull the headlight off or could you just tape it all off and spray just the light?

How many coats did you use smodster3o3 and it didn't decrease ur visibility at night?Thanks
I just put one coat because I was afriad no light would come out. And no I didnt notice any less light.
Oh yeah pull off your light, you wouldnt want to get any paint on your car.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
you cant use normal spray paint like krylon because it is 100% solid. not light will pass through it at all unless you miss a spot.

i would never use that night shades (or any paint) on my lights bacuse you can pool the paint and then you will have dark spots when your lights are on (and it will look very very tacky) try simply useing window tint first. a roll of tint is the same as a can of VHT so you might as well. and you can take it off if the cops stop you instead of buying new lights.

also, notice the turn lights on "Smodster3o3" 's truck. he has them completly blacked out. while they look great the light out put is greatly reduced as you can see in the pic. so you wont be able to "black them out" but you could smoke them.

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
Ive used Niteshades on my friends integra and another friends Accord both with success. I tried using tint on my tail lights cause I have some laying around, but it doesnt work that well, its hard to form around the lights and if your lights are curved. The spray is harder to mess up then you think, as long as you follow directions and take your time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts