Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my automatic 93 sentra used. It has 111k miles. Left side of the car is lower than right side. The lining of the frame is off slightly. There is a problem with the left side of the vehicle. After I accelerate to 10mph, I feel a push from under the car to go to second gear. It goes higher and continues to rise normally. I want to know what could cause this "push" after 1st gear? It can be described as the gear shift from 1st to 2nd on a manual car. I don't think this is normal for a car. Are there any ideas of what can be the problem? Will it be simple to fix? How much would it possible cost me? I don't want to take it for a diagnostic ($60) if I don't have to. Some say it needs a new transmission filter. I'm not sure because I don't know about cars. Any help is appreciated.

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
dangerm0use said:
It goes higher and continues to rise normally. I want to know what could cause this "push" after 1st gear?
I understand everything that you're saying except this. What "goes higher and continues to rise normally"? The speedometer?

Keep in mind that if it's just a slight push, it could just be the 1st > 2nd shift. Older Nissan automatic transmissions do tend to shift on the rough side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the speedometer rises normally after the 1st to 2nd gear shift on my automatic. it is more than a slight push. it is like a big bump, but other gear shifts are smooth and hardly felt. what can this be?

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
dangerm0use said:
the speedometer rises normally after the 1st to 2nd gear shift on my automatic. it is more than a slight push. it is like a big bump, but other gear shifts are smooth and hardly felt. what can this be?
By any chance, is your idle rougher than usual as well? If so, my first guess would be that one of your motor mounts has worn out/collapsed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ReVerm said:
By any chance, is your idle rougher than usual as well? If so, my first guess would be that one of your motor mounts has worn out/collapsed.

my idle is not unusual. it purrs like a kitten. it's real low and i could hardly feel the vibration of the car when holding down the brake at a stop light/sign.

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
dangerm0use said:
my idle is not unusual. it purrs like a kitten. it's real low and i could hardly feel the vibration of the car when holding down the brake at a stop light/sign.
In that case, I'd start by changing your automatic transmission fluid and putting a new ATX filter on there. It does sound like mounts to me (my guess would be the front mount), but mounts are expensive and are a pain to do sometimes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts