Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that some muffler shops will custom bend exhaust systems for just about any vehicle for what seems to be a much more reasonable price. Some will even do mandrel bends (for a price). Does anyone know how these compare with the big name exhausts like Stromung and Dynomax? Is the big price just for the big name? Or do they tend to have a bit more to them than a muffler shop system?

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Obviously some people justify the cost of expensive exhaust systems, however I for one don't plan to pay upward of $500 for one. I'd price it both ways, how much for a custom madrel bent setup with your choice of mufflers, or buying any one of the pre-manufactured systems. I never get tired of saying this, our cars, whether they be SR20 or GA16 powered, don't produce enough backpressure to warrant spending a lot on an exhaust. Look at what the HP gains from an exhaust are, 5-10 at best. Unless you're turboed or have all the bolt ons, there is no reason to do an exhaust. It's mandatory if you're turbo, because you're goign to stiffle it, and it's one of the last mods you should do if you're NA. (Unless of course yours needs to be replaced anyways, and you might as well get a decent setup with larger piping). If I do an exhaust before I go turbo, then I plan on getting the pacesetter header and cat-back exhaust. The whole setup can be had for about $360 with the ceramic coated header. If I go turbo first, then I'll just have a custom exhaust made since I won't be putting a header on and I'll be using larger diameter piping than what is available in any prefabbed setup for my car.

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
Just remember this for future reference. No matter how much money you put into the car, you will never get all of it back when selling it. Unless you find someone really really really stupid. And if you do, i have a bridge to sell them in the arctic circle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan to eventually go turbo. The exhaust will be one of the later modifications, I'm just looking into the options as I begin. Simple things like the intake and a few lighter items here and there. The exhaust will probably be the last thing before the turbo. Which then raises another question. Are turbos a generally a couple sizes fits just about anything? ... or does a particular fit one need to be obtained or is there one that works better with the GA16DE than the others?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts