Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend and I just bought a '95 240 and were told that it a had a bad timing chain tensioner. It would run, but it make a god-awful sound like the timing chain was banging against the block. After removing the valve cover and front covers to asses the situation we discovered 2 chunks of metal floating around in the head. Nothing was wrong with any of the tensioners or guides, but the metal is greatly disturbing. We assumed the metal was making the sound and reassembled the engine and tried to start it up. Unfortunately, neither one of us thought to mark the distributor before we removed it and now I am worried that the timing is way off. The motor turns over, but won't start. So my questions are 1) does anyone have any clue where the metal might have come from and 2)how can i fix the timing? Thanks for the help. Oh, I have pictures of the pieces if anyone wants to see.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,236 Posts
The metal pieces may be from a broken upper chain guide.

Here's how to time the distributor:
First you need to find Top Dead Center (TDC) for the compression stroke in order to time the ignition distributor. To find TDC, remove #1 spark plug and disconnect the ignition coil wire. Have someone tap the ignition switch start position to slowly crank the motor while you put you hand over the spark plug hole. When you feel the compression, stop. Now look down at the timing pointer at the front pulley. It should be pointing to ZERO. If not, manually turn the motor clockwise or counter-clockwise by hand until it's pointing to ZERO. Now determine the #1 plug wire location on the distributor cap. Mark that location on the distributor body. Now insert the distributor into the block, meshing the gears so that the rotor ends up pointing to the mark you put on the side of the distributor body. You now are timed close to correct; you should be able to start the motor.

Before starting the motor, set up a timing light so that you can set the timing to spec. Disconnect the TPS harness connector. It's located on the passenger's side of the engine just above the throttle assembly. Start engine and set timing to 20 degrees BTDC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts