1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Popkorn 
#1 ·
please!! tell me how

do i buy 1 gallon
drain my tank
put it in and drive till i run out?
sorry this is my first car

#2 ·
Ok, calm down. :-D the easiest way to figure it out is to fill up the tank and note the mileage. We'll call this mileage A. Then, drive until you need to fill up again. Note the mileage; we'll call this mileage B. Also, see how much fuel went in. Subract mileage A from Mileage B and that'll give you the total number of miles you've traveled. Then, take that number and divide by the amount of fuel you filled up with. The resulting number is how many miles you can get per gallon of gas.

#4 ·
the only problem with the method described ( i do it that way also) is how much gas you put in when you fill the tank, if you stop when the pump clicks each time it may be consistent, but if you top it off after the click it would change the final number, it probably won't change the MPG by much though. In my 90 sentra 4 speed I keep track of every time I get gas, the miles driven and the mpg since I bought the car, 89 fill ups later my overall MPG since I bought the car is 29.6 MPG, not bad for a 15 year old car!

#5 ·
it with the same pump both times, or fill it 'till it dribbles, or better yet, run the "test" multiple times. about 5 or so will give ya a decent sample.

oh, and *most* sentras had a trip odometer... reset it when ya fill up. easiest way to keep track of mileage.

#7 ·
FILL THE TANK, RUN IT TILL ITS EMPTY (BRING SOME EXTRA GAS WITH YOU) THEN DIVIDE THAT NUMBER (MILES) BY THE GALLONS THE TANK HOLDS

#8 ·
RBI*04 said:
FILL THE TANK, RUN IT TILL ITS EMPTY (BRING SOME EXTRA GAS WITH YOU) THEN DIVIDE THAT NUMBER (MILES) BY THE GALLONS THE TANK HOLDS
Doing it ^^^this way^^^ can damage your car:

1) When the gas runs out, the car can backfire damaging the catalytic converter.

2) The fuel pump is in the gas tank. It is cooled by the gasoline it is bathed in. Running the tank dry can cause it to overheat and be damaged.

Lew

#10 ·
RBI*04 said:
thats actually very inaccurate for most vehicles.

Here's a simple way to go about it. Fill the tank at the gas station then right down your mileage ( or reset tripmeter for those of you who have one ) Now...next time you go to the gas station fill it up again and take notice of the mileage....the difference in mileage and the amount of gas you put in the second time is your gas mileage. Now remember though that the longer the miles the more averaged and somewhat accurate it will be.

And as already stated never run the car empty and don't do the put a few gallons here and there thing... try to fill up as much as possible to keep the fuel pump cool.

#11 ·
I just reset the tripometer each time I fill it. When it gets around 300 miles it's pretty close to a 10 gal fill up. (30 mpg) Had a leaky vacuum hose and the fill ups were closer to 250 miles.
My Durango has a trip computer. It gives direction, outside air temp, average mileage, real time mileage, distance til empty, distance travelled(tripometer) and engine run time. So it was exacty 1575 miles from home to Tahoe and back. 27 hrs driving and almost 6 tanks of gas. Averaged 16.2mpg loaded down with gear. Not bad for a 5.9L V8. Still can't afford to get rid of the Sentra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.