Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted some suggestions on the best ways on break in a new engine... Manual says low revs & easy on everything for the first 1,200 miles... However, others say drive like you normally do to get the engine accustomed to your driving habits, allowing the seals, valves, etc. 'learn' how to work according to your driving needs. This means driving it hard, maybe harder than normal, to break everything in.
Any real world experience and comments??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any of the engines that I've built have always been driven with low boost and not thrashed for the first 1000ks. I've always used mineral oil for the first 500k's to bed the rings in. I like to keep the revs varied and never load the engine up.

Driving a new engine hard during the run in period will shorten it's life. I tend to keep the servicing more regular than the factory recommendations especially when you know it's going to be driven hard.

From my experiences running engines like this has made them last longer. :cheers:

·
Registered
82 Posts
m trying to borke mine GA with a long timing advance, but the shit only run better and dont broke up !

hehe.. joke guys, i like mine sentra. =] but "he" is very bad, 10 yeares running at poor gaz (Braziliam low octane gaz), and naver had a painting care.. you can figure the status of the car. but, my next nissan will be well taken care.

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
It depends on the type of piston rings and how many cylinders. Just use a cheap oil filter (Fram) and 30wt oil (no additives) for about 600miles at top rpm of 2500. Then change the oil and filter to the same cheap stuff. Run again for about 600miles at varying rpm topped at 3000. Now you change oil and filter to do whatever. Synthetic oil multi-weight anything. Dont use additives, oil is fine and they just make more money off you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts