Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is the best oil I drive my TT Z daily through the four seasons and will be at the track this summer for the first time also I hear of adding an extra quart to keep the oil pressure up any suggestions

·
Registered
72 Posts
Amsoil 10w40 or 20w50 depending on where ur at.
Redline
Mobil1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Amsoils the only thing I use. Buy off the website and become a preferred customer-it's 10 bucks for 6 months but will save you more than 10 bucks off a case.

I personally use the Series 3000 5W30 HDEO, but the 10W30 would be great as well. Stay away from the XL series-it's only for quickie lube places and doesn't use the same base stock as the other products.

If you don't like to buy on line, Red Line makes a good oil too. The new Mobil 1 should be awesome as well.

With the small oil capacity of the Z's, I would add no more than 1/4 qt past full. Anything more and you risk foaming.

·
Registered
72 Posts
please note that amsoil is a lil thinner than other oils of the same weight

·
Registered
941 Posts
Shadow Z: "Please note that Amsoil is a lil' thinner than other oils of the same weight."

Are you sure about that? :confused:

I know that's true for Mobil 1 but I don't know that to be the case with Amsoil.

Yes, as Ishadoff has pointed out, there are many existing threads on this subject. A search using oil brand names of the word "synthetic" would find them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Amsoil is actually a bit on the "thick" side, and tends to thicken slightly if you run the extended drains (15K + miles). M1 is on the thin side of a 30W.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i know it gets thicker the longer you leave it in, thats why its thinner when new. and i was commenting about the 20w50. sorry i didnt make it clear

·
Registered
941 Posts
DaZee, I'm a charter member of BITOG (bobistheoilguy.com) and I'd never heard that of Amsoil before.

All oils initially shear some during the first few thousand miles but will thicken if they are left in as they oxidize and get filled with carbon molecules.

You to to 15K? :confused: Do any UOAs?

I think Amsoil is pretty good stuff ... but that seems excessive unless you are testing all the while to make sure the oil is holding up given your use of it.

Mobil 1 starts off on the thin side of each grade ... which is why a lot of people 'boost' 5W-30 and 10W-30 with a quart or so of 15W-50 for high performance applications in late model cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Touch base with Pablo over there, he can give you specifics on exactly what grades thicken the worst. A 10W30 M1 is thinner than a 10W30 Amsoil out of the bottle. And depending on the Amsoil product, it will thicken (significantly sometimes).

I only run 10K OCI's with Amsoil and do a UOA (Blackstone Labs) at least once a year. I always could have gone further in all of my vehicles but don't care to.

Take a look at the non-scientific study done at http://neptune.spacebears.com/index.html

When I used to run Mobil 1 I never had it thicken much. If you look at the chart on the oil life study you can see that the Amsoil started thicker and moved up much faster. The M1 stayed fairly steady.

·
Registered
941 Posts
OK Dazee, if Pablo says so, then I believe it. :)

I used to hate Amsoil (as a brand) because all the dealers seemed so wacky and sleazy ... then I met Pablo and I realized some of them were actually human. ;)

It's a pretty good PAO formulation, overall. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
amsoil is great oil, although they claim to warranty a verry long service interval i would never try it.

if you really understand how oil works then you should really consider synthetic oils. they have lots of good chemicals in the oil that regular oil just dosnt have.

**** however if your oil changes come at 3k miles regularly you will be fine with any oil. i believe on the actual hood of the z32 it reccomends 5w30-20w50 depending on ambient tempurature. i use mobil 1 15w50 in mine and have never had any problems. oh i also use purolator and or mobil1 oil filters. both have great micron readings.

gl

Irei

·
Registered
941 Posts
"If you really understand how oil works then you should really consider synthetic oils. They have lots of good chemicals in the oil that regular oil just doesn't have. "

That really isn't true. The "synthetic" in synthetic oil refers to the base oil(s) and has nothing to do with the additive package. Yes, Mobil 1 and some other synthetics have excellent additive packages ... but so do mineral oils from Chevron, Pennzoil and Schaeffer.

And besides, many oils labeled as "synthetic" or "synthetic blend" have no true synthetic Group IV or Group V base oil in them anymore. They are pure (hydrocracked Group III) mineral oil at inflated prices. Good oil to be sure, but not really synthetic and not worth $4-5 per quart when you can get Group II+ oils for $1.00-$1.50.

"However if your oil changes come at 3k miles regularly you will be fine with any oil."

True enough. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts