Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best or a verry good OIL for turbo engines (CA18DET...)?
I have 3 options:
they all are 10W40
Castrol Magnatec GTX3 $14/L
Motul V300 Chrono $13/L
and maybe Mobil 1 $19/L

any recomendation, any other type of oil, what do u consider to be the best?

·
so close to turbo...
925 Posts
my dads friend is an awesome mechanic....he recomends valvoline all the way so its all i use

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,122 Posts
ByReaL said:
What is the best or a verry good OIL for turbo engines (CA18DET...)?
I have 3 options:
they all are 10W40
Castrol Magnatec GTX3 $14/L
Motul V300 Chrono $13/L
and maybe Mobil 1 $19/L

any recomendation, any other type of oil, what do u consider to be the best?
Mobil 1 is a very good synthetic motor oil. You won't go wrong by using it.

·
Nismophiliac
1,517 Posts
I've had nothing but problems with mobil 1 oil. I use vavoline. If you look on any of the oil jugs, you will see a stamp that says, API tested??? i think, that's what you should llook for. If it has it, 9 times out of 10 it will be a good oil.

·
NX2000 Bredren
212 Posts
zellx2004 said:
I've had nothing but problems with mobil 1 oil. I use vavoline. If you look on any of the oil jugs, you will see a stamp that says, API tested??? i think, that's what you should llook for. If it has it, 9 times out of 10 it will be a good oil.
Prefering one Oil over another is one thing. But how exactly do you have "nothing but problems" with a certain Oil?

·
Nismophiliac
1,517 Posts
I used Mobil 1 with a 99 camaro SS. (LS-1 s6-speed) It was brand new at the time, the factory recommended Mobil 1 5w-30 oil. So we used that. The car could not keep it in there. It burnt it all out. Next thing we know, KNOCK....KNOCK.....KNOCK....then BOOM! there goes the ls1. THe entire car was brand new, I think the car had a total of 30 miles (??). We checked the ground, none of it leaked out. So i had to burn it. That's why that turned me against mobil 1 oil.

·
Registered
319 Posts
zellx2004 said:
I used Mobil 1 with a 99 camaro SS. (LS-1 s6-speed) It was brand new at the time, the factory recommended Mobil 1 5w-30 oil. So we used that. The car could not keep it in there. It burnt it all out. Next thing we know, KNOCK....KNOCK.....KNOCK....then BOOM! there goes the ls1. THe entire car was brand new, I think the car had a total of 30 miles (??). We checked the ground, none of it leaked out. So i had to burn it. That's why that turned me against mobil 1 oil.
I got news for ya...Mobil1 isn't the only oil that burns. I had Redline (the proper weight, too) in my ITR and it burned. I didn't know that it burned oil, but I developed a rod knock taking touring laps at VIR. Did I blame it on the oil? No. A warranty engine replacement later, I switch to Mobil1 and does it burn? Nope.

Now I own a M3, and it burns Mobil1 too. Do I think switching to another oil is likely to lessen the problem? No. Which is why I check my oil level every week.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BMW bur oil from factory (if u refer that the engine eats the oil) if u look into the bmw manual u will se that that somewere the yspecifi the amount of oil that the engine eat afther a certain numbers of mile/km

as i understood (i do noit have something shure) CA18DET eat also oil afther u have pased the red line (7000rpm)

when u refer to "bur oil" u refer to the fact that some oil disapear afther u have runed the car some miles

·
Nismophiliac
1,517 Posts
2Fass240us said:
I got news for ya...Mobil1 isn't the only oil that burns. I had Redline (the proper weight, too) in my ITR and it burned. I didn't know that it burned oil, but I developed a rod knock taking touring laps at VIR. Did I blame it on the oil? No. A warranty engine replacement later, I switch to Mobil1 and does it burn? Nope.

Now I own a M3, and it burns Mobil1 too. Do I think switching to another oil is likely to lessen the problem? No. Which is why I check my oil level every week.
Keep in mind this was just my expirence. Use whatever oil suits you best. I for one, am not going to use mobil 1 oil just from this bad expirence. Was it the engine? Piston rings? Valve guides? Valves? Heads? who knows, I just thought it was kinda funny to switch back to mobil 1 from using a different oil and the engine burns up all of the mobil 1 oil.

·
Registered
941 Posts
"Got news for ya' ... Mobil 1 isn't the only oil that burns. I had Red Line (the proper weight, too) in my ITR and it burned. I didn't know that it burned oil, but I developed a rod knock taking touring laps at VIR. Did I blame it on the oil? No. A warranty engine replacement later, I switch to Mobil 1 and does it burn? Nope."

Odd, my '95 Civic's B16 used both Mobil 1 and Red Line and didn't burn a drop in over 100,000 miles. I simply never had to add a drop of oil to this engine I ran very hard ... and I went 5,000-6,000 miles between changes.

The only oil this engine burned was Valvoline Syntec. Although it used to be one of my favorite brands, it is now one of my least favorite. Lab tests show that it has the weakest additive package ... and a mediocre base oil as well.

Every engine is different, so I believe every one of the stories above.

ByReal, my recommendation to you is to start with the Motul and go with the Mobil 1 as a second choice. As was stated previously, check your oil frequently until you are familiar with its consumption patterns.

·
NX2000 Bredren
212 Posts
zellx2004 said:
It probably wasnt the oil is my guess. Also why didnt you run regular oil first like most people do on Brand new cars and then switch to Synthetic? Also did you even break the engine in?

·
Registered
319 Posts
zellx2004 said:
Keep in mind this was just my expirence. Use whatever oil suits you best. I for one, am not going to use mobil 1 oil just from this bad expirence. Was it the engine? Piston rings? Valve guides? Valves? Heads? who knows, I just thought it was kinda funny to switch back to mobil 1 from using a different oil and the engine burns up all of the mobil 1 oil.
I understand...I merely wanted to point out that Mobil1 wasn't the only oil that burned.

I assume you got the engine replaced under warranty?

Bror Jace said:
Odd, my '95 Civic's B16 used both Mobil 1 and Red Line and didn't burn a drop in over 100,000 miles. I simply never had to add a drop of oil to this engine I ran very hard ... and I went 5,000-6,000 miles between changes.
I'm not sure why this was the case, but ITR's are notorious for burning oil.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I would use mobil 1 i used that in my se-r drove it hard had it for 25,000 miles never burned any, it leaked some but that was a differant issue. I also used a K&N filter sorta expensive but better flow and easy to get off.

·
Nismophiliac
1,517 Posts
2Fass240us said:
I understand...I merely wanted to point out that Mobil1 wasn't the only oil that burned.

I assume you got the engine replaced under warranty?

I'm not sure why this was the case, but ITR's are notorious for burning oil.
Yes, the engine was replaced, but we don't use mobil (my dad doesn't trust it.) so intstead my dad and I decided to use royal purple. So far everything is just fine and dandy (knock on wood.) So if I had to choose which synthetic, I would choose royal purple. Just as long as no one in here uses the Castrol Syntec crap.

·
Registered
319 Posts
zellx2004 said:
Yes, the engine was replaced, but we don't use mobil (my dad doesn't trust it.) so intstead my dad and I decided to use royal purple. So far everything is just fine and dandy (knock on wood.) So if I had to choose which synthetic, I would choose royal purple. Just as long as no one in here uses the Castrol Syntec crap.
The pump mechanics at work swear by Royal Purple for the centrifugal process pumps. I saw it on display at a trade show and was pretty impressed myself. Oil was run in tractor trailer trucks for a loooong time and looked almost brand new.

I am thinking of trying it in my M3 just for chits and giggles.

·
NX2000 Bredren
212 Posts
But the thing is...you want your oil to get Dirty. That tells you that its keeping the crap out of your engine. Then you change it and you have Clean lubrication again.

Im scared of those oils that say you dont have to change it for such and such miles. Ill stick to changing my oil every 3-4k with mobil one! Id rather have NEW oil in my Car every 3k-4k rather than have the same oil in my car for 6-8k miles.

·
Pivot 180
2,258 Posts
i use castrol formula-r synthetic 5W-30. My mechanic says its overkill for my car and that a semi-synthetic is fine for SR's as long as you change it every 5000k's.

·
NX2000 Bredren
212 Posts
Joel said:
i use castrol formula-r synthetic 5W-30. My mechanic says its overkill for my car and that a semi-synthetic is fine for SR's as long as you change it every 5000k's.
Shyt!! Thats not over kill. Our motors Redline at 7500rpms (At least) and will throw rods and spin bearings like its nothing. We NEED sysnthetic. If you ever Redline your motor its NOT over kill!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts