Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I have a (stock) 2002 Sentra SE-R (NOT Spec-V, unfortunately) and I have a bit of money saved up to get some more performance out of the car....

For about $800, what all should I be doing? Also, can you give me some links and what not to specific products? I know Stillen came out with a few things, but everyone I've talked to said Stillen overprices everything and I could find it for a good bit cheaper elsewhere ..

Oh also, I've only got about 12,000 miles on the car...

Sorry if this has been asked before....I'm just wanting to make sure I don't buy a product designed specifically for the Spec V ..

Thanks a lot!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this is what i would do:

AEM CAI - $220 ~6-8hp
B/S removal kit- $90 or free ~7-9hp
ground knock sensor- free ~1 or 2hp
UR pulley - 185 ~7-9hp
Header - 360 ~10-12 hp

all this puts you at about $855 with about 30-40 hp! Hope this helps!

·
TECKADEMICS
281 Posts
What is B/S???
And how do you ground your knock sensor?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
B/S = Balance Shaft and for more info on this and how to ground the knock sensor go to www.b15sentra.net and search in the performance modifications section.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Best mods for SE-R

Follow what Nissanperformancemag.com did. #1 Cold air intake.(about 5hp @ the wheels) Injen makes the best looking unit. Hotshot and AEM both make cold air intakes also as far as performance go they are all the same. #2 Header. (about 10hp @ the wheels) Really suprising gains were seen with the installation of the hot-shot header...i am sure the stillen header would have similar gains. Stillen has a 2 piece downpipe, header combination. www.stillen.com If you get the hot shot header buy it from jim wolf technologies they sell it for only $386 vs. $400+ everywhere else. #3 balance shaft removal kit. I bought one but dont want it, ill sell it for what i purchased it for. Brand new unopened in the box with full instructions/diagrams. supposed to give like up to 8hp @ the wheels. Thats around $700 or so for about 20hp. Youll be running rsx's and just about every car in the specV's class (cept maybe that damn neon turbo)

·
StreetWiseCustoms
540 Posts
Injen CAI or meganracing cai
Injen and AEM www.Adventon.com 190 bucks megan 119 bucks just as good
B/S removal kit from JWT 90 bucks
Grounded KS mod free
ur pulleys 184 group buy on www.thevboard.com
HS header 380 shipped
$773 which is under your 800
If you go with the www.meganracing.com intake
I was the first one with the intake on a specv. It works great. If your a brand name freak then go with Injen...

·
StreetWiseCustoms
540 Posts
NO stillen header they suck...Even with there new 2nd generation headers. Bad bad idea. There welds are nasty
If you can wait until jan. then go with the AEBS header. It's going to be the best. It's going to have the header down pipe high flow cat which eliminates the two stock cats. Also, a 02 bung before and after the high flow cat so NO ses light :)
More HP too ;)

·
StreetWiseCustoms
540 Posts
1YellowSpecV said:
What is B/S???
And how do you ground your knock sensor?
balance shafts are in your engine. They counter rotate too make you car smooth. It's not needed. It rotates at 20,000rpms. That takes away power from your car. Your gains would most likely be like getting a pulley system. BS mod voids your warrety though. Nice mod but wait until you have at least 20k on your car. Your knock sensor is a little sensor that detects detonation or pinging/knocking of the engine. Its very sensitive. (too sesitive) If your sensor detects any knock then it retards your timing up to 8*. This is not good. The mod doesn't give you any more HP...It just makes your car keep your HP throught your power band or runs at the track/street. The mod works and I recommend it. JUST MAKE sure you use at least 93oct. If not and you use cheap gas then you could have detonation and then your engine is screwed...

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will any of these mods void the warrenty? And what else can you do without voiding the warrenty. Thanks for any help. Cant wait to get this thing over 200hp at the wheels.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mods and warrenty

The part that you alter has to affect the part that breaks in order to void a warrenty. I dont think you going to get 200hp at the wheels without voiding probably the entire warrenty........not to say you would break anything as a result.

·
StreetWiseCustoms
540 Posts
I/H/E and your warrenty is still good. Your MAF sensor and exhaust is voided but your exhaust is voided sixty days after you drive off the lot anyway. Everything else is pushing the limit or exceding it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All these mods will void the warranty...

IamGravy said:
Will any of these mods void the warrenty? And what else can you do without voiding the warrenty. Thanks for any help. Cant wait to get this thing over 200hp at the wheels.

·
StreetWiseCustoms
540 Posts
200whp is not going to happen anytime soon. After the JWT ECU, CAMS, 11:1 Pistons/rods, and all the other bolt ons and bolt offs (BS removed) then you'll be over 200whp. And that would void almost everything. BS void your warrenty but they will never know there gone unless they drop the oil pan. Will they ever need to??? NO! Not likely. KS you can put back. So, that is no big deal.
I/H/E is OK for most dealerships. Exhaust system is void. MAF is void. Doing everything BS/KS/H/I/E/P/AT/MM and your car will be in the upper 160's to very low 170's to the wheels. This is pretty good. [email protected] with these mods

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi I just wanna ask how much is the Progressive lowering springs worth ?? I've been quoted $450 Canadian .... Seems like everyone is getting that for their Spec ...... I was told that the Ground Control coil overs are super rough once it's on the Spec ... What is everyones opinon on that ??? Thank you very much.

·
StreetWiseCustoms
540 Posts
GC are the best beat unless you go with FULL coilovers. Tein, JIC, etc...

Springs are ok but not recommended. With GC you can make custom spring rates. And for your specv I would recommend 350F and 375R You'll never bottom out and if you only do a 1.5" drop your dampers will last a long time. Plus, there adjustable.
A little more the springs but for GOOD reason.
Skunk2 makes some too and there 400F 400R I have heard bad things abou them though.
But, if you don't care about performance then just buy some cheap springs with a stiff spring rate. Progress would be the one I would go with for JUST springs

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do care bout performence, I do. But I don't understand the 350F, 375R ..... is the the height that I should set it too or is that the spring rate ?? And also do I just ask whoever is installing my GC coilovers to drop the dampers to 1.5 " .... What is the GC coilover worth ??? I was quoted $ 749 CAD .. Thank you very much ... I like all of the Specs on StreetWise Improts too ..... Now who is that that has the carbon fiber lip for their Spec and where he get that from ..... Thank you.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
THANK YOU VERY MUCH LJ !! I just have one more question do I just say that to the people that will be installing my GC's ?? JUst say that 350 f 375 r ?? I guess what I want to know is what does 350 and 375 stand for ?? I must sound like such a newbie .... but thats cool cause I am. Thank you once again LJ.

·
StreetWiseCustoms
540 Posts
No say that to Jermaine or whom ever you purchase you coilovers with. GC has to customize them there. They will come to you already to go. And the drop is easy. For 1.5" drop I've learned that it is just the width of my thumb. Put your thumb between the spindle and the base of the coilover. You'll see what I mean when you install it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts