Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, on my way to my moms house sat. christmas morn i started feeling a hesitation in the motor. first thing that popped in my head was spark plugs or something close to it. well on my way there my car started throwin the ses light. i get there check the connections and find that one of the cylinders is not firing. i get it back home 60 miles away from my moms house and do self diagnostic test. i pulled the 0300 which is multiple cylinder misfire. at this point i break out my tools and commence to removing plugs. the one that wasnt firing is completely BENT over onto the electrode of the plug. okay now my question is, WHAT THE HELL COULD HAVE DONE THIS???? i mean ive heard about butterfly valve screws comin loose but dont know if this would be a sympton of that. the rest of the plugs looked fine maybe need to be replaced but not like the first one which was tottally bent. anyones suggestions and comments are welcome. should i try to put in new plugs or should i go ahead and take it to a dealer. being that i have ext warranty through GUARDIAN i dont know if nissan dealer will do the work or not. i would think that if its the butterfly valves that came lose it would be something they have to fix due to most of them not being loctited like there are suppose to be.
[/IMG]

hope the pic works so you can see

·
Mofo fo life
2,103 Posts
definetly, this is a big problem that you need to get fixed fast. And for the rest of us, if its a critical problem with the motor nissan needs to hear from you as fast as possible to get a recall out on the parts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE

ok, so i took the plug that was bent and regapped it using a pair of needlenose pliers and bent it back up and put in another cylinder
.got everything tightened back down and was actually hesitant to start the motor cause of how bad it was running.so i did it warmed up to normal operating temp with all cylinders firing now and was idleing at 750 like it always has. so i decide to take it for a few blocks to see how it felt,first thing i noticed is my cold air intake doesnt pull as much air i think bcause its not as loud as b4. the acceleration felt kinda pulsy kinda like the cai. it sounded real bad when i got up to 35 in 2nd, i let it go to see if my intake runners would open like that should (2nd ones) cant remember what rpm they open but they never opened all the way to 5800 rpms. i imediately think somethings wrong. so i try another time at giving it more gas at around 55mph and it just seemed like the car didnt give more air after 5000 rpms. very unusal to me so i came back home and parked "Black Betty" and called nissan dealer. so i have apointment wednesday in the early morn to try and diagnose this problem. im pretty sure the way the plug was all dinged up around the edge and the tip that something was sucked in the combustion chamber. checked the oil and was a lil low than the other day when i checked it. dont know what this could be. but im sure NISSAN will tell me

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i religously clean the cai filter, every oil change so far which for me is every 3000 miles, ive made sure not to over oil when i cleaned it. i let the filter sit probly 2 hours and dry because i didnt wanna end up with maf probs. i also checked the filter yesterday to insure that that wasnt the cause( hole in it or anything). thing is i dont know what theyll say about the cai, BUT i bought the car exactly the way it is right now 8000 miles ago. in 8000 miles my horn has quit working, my front struts are so busted its unreal, and of course now this problem which i think is the BUTTERFLYS. if you took a look at my car you would def think i have lowered it in the front but i absolutely am not a fan of droppin a car and sacrificing handling.well i have app. to see nissan tomorrow morning so ill keep everyone updated on the actual diagnosis of the problem .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok not gonna say much more on this because im pretty upset about it but hey I GET ME A BRAND SPANKIN NEW LONG BLOCK TO REPLACE. diagnosis of multiple cylinder misfire---- BUTTERFLYS AND PRECAT POWNED MY @$$. all i have to say about it. thanks for the help and ill be sure to properly break it in the way it should be and maybe a little longer period than most do to insure this one doesnt go to shit too.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
OI$urfGOD said:
ok not gonna say much more on this because im pretty upset about it but hey I GET ME A BRAND SPANKIN NEW LONG BLOCK TO REPLACE. diagnosis of multiple cylinder misfire---- BUTTERFLYS AND PRECAT POWNED MY @$$. all i have to say about it. thanks for the help and ill be sure to properly break it in the way it should be and maybe a little longer period than most do to insure this one doesnt go to shit too.
So I am guessing the pre cat got sucked into your engine and that is what broke the tip? Well least you are getting a spakin new engine...I'de definately throw an aftermarket header on also :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts