Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried spraying Belt Squeel spray on one of the belts. I figured out which belt it was cause when i sprayed it, it went away but came back within a few minutes. Does this mean that the belt is loose, needs to be replaced?? Someone help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
tighten it up, if it doesn't go away by a new belt tighten it and then after about 200miles tighten it again. Don't use that spray crap it just gets everywhere and it makes a mess of your pully.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
If the belt is tight and it still makes noise then it's probably glazed.

·
Banned
395 Posts
this ish happened to me a while ago, i got some belt dressing but shit didnt work, so after wasting my money and time on that, i just replaced the belts and inspected the old ones, and they were tore the f*ck up.......that thing could've snapped at any time, yo and i drove the car like that to mossy(3 1/2HR drive)

·
120 Posts
i have this same problem. one small spray of wd40 onto the belt will silence it for a day or two, but then it comes back. how do i tighten the belt?

B

·
0 Posts
yeah i have had this problem since the summer after i bought the car. It only does it when there is moisture in the air, but a shot of wd40 and it goes away for a few mintues but then its back, nissan claims its a "characteristic" of the car, and i have had all the belts changed once and it stopped for like 2 weeks or so maybe a little longer then started.

Could it be the nissan brand belts? or maybe a new pulley would do the trick, unorthodox style of course, hahaha!!

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dans200sx said:
i have this same problem. one small spray of wd40 onto the belt will silence it for a day or two, but then it comes back. how do i tighten the belt?
There is a lock nut on the passenger side above the belts. Its a 12mm bolt with the head pointing to the driver side fender, loosen it by turning it counter-clockwise. There is an adjusting screw that points towards the firewall. Tighten it which will increase tension. Then tighten the lock nut and you should be done.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much is too much when it comes to tightening the belts?? Also, to add to the tightening, there is another lock nut and adjusting bolt below the engine for the idler pulley.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You should be able to twist the belt 1/2" or so when it is tight, don't spray wd40, it just causes your belts to slip.
If you just replaced them, tighten them, drive for around 200miles and then retighten them again. Your belts will stretch, break in.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm not sure how tight is too tight, but I found it easiest to get to that nut with a socket extension, so y'all may try to have one handy when you do this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts