Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me ask you guys something...

When I whipped on a civic SI tonight a couple of times in a row, was I getting lucky? was the civic actually racing me?

All I know is this. I noticed a civic SI (not the new hatchback one's, the one's with b-series engines and a trunk) it had nice rims they were 17's or 18's. HE had i believe a apex'i N1 exhaust, and obviously an intake, and who knows what else, but I saw guages and reverse indiglo's the guy obviously had some sh!t going down. Anyways, we get to the next light and i worked my way to the 1st car position in the lane next to him. I come off the light with the only launch I use with the 200SX and thats not revving high it's just catching that perfect point at about 900rpm and everything just bites. I bog a little bit but the engine bursts out of the bog. anyways i eat this guy off the line and gain a car lenght on him by mid-second gear where i have a total of two car lenghts and I hear him pulling closer and whining into VTEC land. We get close to where there are other cars and I immediately am doing the speed limit and so is he. We kept going at it every chance we got and i was pulling on the guy. he blew me out though once we hit 55-60 mph and he was whining through some gear with the VTEC kickin. so yeah, in the long run I would get stomped in the 1/4 mile but why am I pulling on this guy with a GA16 w/ intake advanced timing, 17 Fittipaldi's, and nothing else that makes my car faster anyways. I also was pulling on ANOTHER civic SI a time a while back. Man sometimes my car feels really faster than other times, whats up with that good day bad day stuff? I think I heard about that somewhere, but damn it feels like +20HP one day and -20HP the next.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It may have been that he didn't know the key to an Si: shifting at redline. Not to mention the other guy didn't get any wheelspin off his launch to keep the revs up.

Don't get your hopes up, but you *may* have beat this guy legitimately......he just may not have known how to drive.

·
Registered
354 Posts
hmmmm

civic si = ~2600lbs
sentra se = ~2600lbs

I thought that perhaps you had a big weight advantage on the bulky civic (loaded with AC, power all). My NX 1600 weighs in at 2300lbs, which makes it feel like it pulls harder than it does.

Low end nissan torque curve is way better, but the B16 should still take the GA16 anywhere over 3500rpms. Dude driving the Si was obviously a big poser who didn't know enough to keep it off the e-cams. 18' rims and indiglo guages mean he's probably put his $$$ into APC showy crap. Did he LED windshield washer jets too? If you really want to beat him, dump your 17's for some good lightweight 15x6.5's (Rotas of Fliks) wrapped in 195/50's.

(BTW... keep the racing to the track, its just better... sorry to be stuffy...)

·
Registered
354 Posts
actually, here's an interesting bit:
Civic Si:
Horsepower: 160 hp
Max Horsepower: 7600 rpm
Torque: 111 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 7000 rpm

2000 Sentra SE:
Horsepower: 145 hp
Max Horsepower: 6400 rpm
Torque: 136 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4800 rpm

Look at those torque #'s!!! Also, look at where they are... 7600 rpm? That's why I don't drive a Honda anymore... powers in places that are too hard to get to in auto-x

·
West Coast Redneck
1,127 Posts
Civic Si:
Base Engine Size: 1.6L
Base Engine Type: Inline 4
Horsepower: 160 hp
Max Horsepower: 7600 rpm
Torque: 111 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 7000 rpm

B14 200SX SE
Base Engine Size: 1.6 liters
Base Engine Type: Inline 4
Horsepower: 115 hp
Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm
Torque: 108 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4000 rpm

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ooops... yeah good call. Sorry, got the wrong car off the wrong sig (that's Mr. Sentra's car). Well, the story is still interesting... at 4000 rpm, the GA16 will probably have way more torque - hence the clobbering of the Si off the line. Honda motors and their bizarre curves, lack of torque drive me nuts. All the B16 hp is nice, but it needs to be more balanced for drivability.

Adam's making the point: big arse rims are bad news. Unless he paid crazy money for them, they're probably heavy like nuts. Bottom line is that if you want a stereo platform, get a damn S10 Chevy or something!

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know ya'll. Cause I have 17's too, there nothing but good, the performance loss is minimal. there nice. So you can't blame his rims. It was wierd. And like I said I had this same type of run in with a totally different SI with exhaust and it was lowered, I can't speak for the engine mods, but yeah, I was pulling on it. In the end both SI's could smoke my car and if I was the driver of the SI I would have been in the High RPM'S always, so I'm sure a lot of it had to do with thier poor driver skill. I believe I KNOW how to drive my little Nissan, and I do, I know how to push her in the right spots. I love Nissan's.
My friend has a civic with a GS-R swap and HE SMOKED ME LIKE A PRISON CIGARETTE. I was laughing histerically. He has plenty of mods though, Really into it.

I don't plan on racing fast cars on the street. When your not going fast and your just playing a little with the car next to you, it's ok. We never risked anyone's safety but our own and I go faster than that legally on the highway.:cool:

·
Registered
413 Posts
He apparently was not racing you. SI is SR20 competition. The GA16 would have no match against the SI and would be burnt.

If you see him again, get him to go to a 1/8th or 1/4 mile. I am sure he would toast you even if he shifts badly or gets a bad reaction time.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Hey blueboost,

Regardless, that goes in your kill book. And if you need a competent nissan (1809cc), I would happily lend you my next creation:D and I'm sure this race will be over before it started.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts