Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed my CV axle, unhooked my tie rod, and disconnected my lower control arm from the knuckle. I had to replace my CV axle and my wheel bearing.

I realized the ball joints (the thing you add grease to) on the tie rod and the lower control arm are poped, torn, no good.

Im not sure exactly what they are called, but what are the side effects of not fixing them?

Ive searched online to try to find a replacement but I don't know what to type in as a keyword.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,688 Posts
If the lower ball joint is severely worn, it needs to be replaced ASAP. The ball in the joint can separate resulting in a catastrophic loss of suspension operation. It's just like a tire coming off the car.

If the seals are torn, then it's a matter of time before the joint fails due to loss of lubricant.

You can buy most suspension components at most auto parts stores. You may have to go to a Nissan dealer for some parts.

To check the ball joints for excessive wear, place a floor jack under the lower control arm of the side you want to check. Make sure the jack point under the control arm is out bound as far as possible; preferably under the ball joint. Jack the control arm up until the tire is about 2" off the ground. Now take a long pipe and push up on the tire while observing any movement at the ball joint; there should be zero movement. You can also place your hand around the ball joint and while pushing on the tire, feel for any movement; again you should feel zero movement.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
this is called a grease boot or dust boot

These are either crimped in place or generally not available as a separate item. A new joint is $10 -40 range.
"Energy Suspension Ball Joint Boot Set" is available as an after market item but they don't do these for Nissans
If you need to replace the control arm rubber bushings these are not available separately from Nissan, you can buy the Arm complete with bushings and lower ball joint from Nissan or Auto parts houses. The bushings are available as an aftermarket item made from polyurethane from Energy Suspension for our cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts