Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so when it was warm out i noticed i wasnt getting very good mpg, so i backed off ALOT on "gunning" it and it got better/semi normal. now its cold (and i even put my 175 tires back on, i was running 205 and thought that may be the reason) and it is terrible! i am at a half tank and only 145 miles! i dont belive i have ever had the timing checked to see if it was normal/ to specs. ill stop pussy footing around and ask my question now. if the timing is below specs could this be the cause of my horrid mpg? i changed the plugs about 2 months ago (brand spankin new oem ngk) and gapped them perfectly.

·
World Rally Blue Sentra
354 Posts
im in the same situation as you but im sure i jus need a tuneup... 225/40/18 ---> 275/65/14 didn't lower my mileage at all

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jlee1469 said:
im in the same situation as you but im sure i jus need a tuneup... 225/40/18 ---> 275/65/14 didn't lower my mileage at all
you mean 175/65/14? its up setting me because that was the best part about this car! the mileage but now i need to fill up every 2 days! one days trip to and from work for me is 74 miles, so in 2 days i am at a half tank and i need to fill up (i dont like to go below a half :rolleyes: )

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
i've heard that poor timing can lower fuel mileage, but there are other causes as well. but timing should be easy to check/repair, so start with that.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats mah plan. i dont have a taming light so ill try to find a friend that does (and knows how to use one as well) but i will more than likely end up having it done at a shop most likely the dealer, because i have heard some shopes do not know the procedure of changing nissans timing and do it wrong.

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
im going thru the same problem also
just replaced my injectors (didnt help)
so im replacing the fuel pump and filter soon

hopefully that will fix it

·
Registered
94 Posts
mine is getting crappy mileage as well. I dont know what the problem is cause is. I hope its nothing expensive cause i dont have the cash.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,227 Posts
Radioaktiv said:
im going thru the same problem also
just replaced my injectors (didnt help)
so im replacing the fuel pump and filter soon

hopefully that will fix it
Yes please let us know your progress.
Have you changed the O2 sensors yet ?
How many miles on the Car ?
My 1.6 Sentra does about 25 mpg in town now I have better tires and brakes, but I assume thats driving style.
My only real data point was my Subaru Legacy, when it got to 100k miles the milage was noticably worse, I changed the O2 sensor and the milage returned to nearly the mileage I got when new. The difference left was the speed limit going up. I was impresssed.
Good Luck....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts