Nissan Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
How far can I take it?
421 Posts
ok, Im freaked out. I did the driver's side mount just now. First, one of the bolts on the tranny broke. The the insert was to small or the mount's diameter was too big!! I was able to adopt the insert to fit the mount though. And I have two bolts on the tranny holding the mount.
I was wondering if I missed something. These inserts can be used on an a/t? Has there been some issues with sellers? I bought mine through ebay. I doubt that I got faked parts or the ones sent were the wrong kind. The package I got looks the same as the images on this thread.
And just to be clear -- the 2 piece insert goes on the passerger side. There are 2 inserts that are exactly the same, these goes on the driver's side and the rear mount.
Test drove the car. Everything looks ok so far. There was no increase in vibration. the car still lunges on gear shift.
I'll be going for the rear this Sunday. I wish not to have anymore surprises.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
dang. that sux. i honestly don't know what the diff is with autos. i won't buy an auto in the future as long as i can help it. I would wait to see if IanH knows. he seems to be the sentra/200sx wizard--knows random obscure crap about 1.6, 2.0, autos and manuals. If no one gives you any posts or advice, i'd pm him and ask.
On a manual, the tranny mount has 1 bolt. the only mount on a manual that has 2 pieces is the front one between the engine and the radiator.

I was able to adopt the insert to fit the mount though.
how??

·
How far can I take it?
421 Posts
just got indoors and washed my hands. I worked on the rear mount. And guess what? the diameter of the mount was too big for the insert just like what I had with the driver's side mount.
does anyone have any information why it seems that I am the only one that have this problem? I have a 95 gxe a/t.
Im going to email prothane and take a look at that vendor in ebay that sold me the mounts. I cant figure it out. The part numbers are correct based on what's listed in Prothane web site.
Im going to several parts store and maybe some junk yards to find a rear mount and see if my car has the only mounts that are larger.
Please post information if you have any. I'll post my findings as well.
By the looks of the weather I will not be able to replace that rear mount until spring.

·
How far can I take it?
421 Posts
dang. that sux. i honestly don't know what the diff is with autos. i won't buy an auto in the future as long as i can help it. I would wait to see if IanH knows. he seems to be the sentra/200sx wizard--knows random obscure crap about 1.6, 2.0, autos and manuals. If no one gives you any posts or advice, i'd pm him and ask.
On a manual, the tranny mount has 1 bolt. the only mount on a manual that has 2 pieces is the front one between the engine and the radiator.

how??
The 2 piece I was reffering to is the passenger side mount. That one fits snug and it seems that the other mounts have the same diameter as the passenger and rear mounts -- whose inserts are smaller in diameter, unless, the part I got was not correct.
I adopted the mount with some magnet strips that I had in my junk. Its solid, cannot be pinched but flexible just like a ref door magnet. But this one is about 1.5 mm thick. One on top of the other around the insert filled in the gap. And 3 side by side on the insert fitted just right. That's what I pressed in the mount. Now the sleeves of the insert does not work in this case. The diameter of the insert after the magnets are placed is larger than the sleeve. I periodically check to see if the mount will move. So far about 60 miles after the install, it looks ok.
I didn't want to do the same thing to the rear. I will look for a rear mount (junk or someone parting his sentra) that will take the insert and just have that one ready for install. I should have done that at the beginning. :balls:

·
How far can I take it?
421 Posts
Update: Got info from the ebay merchant.
His installer said that recently he was working on install prothane inserts for, I guess, a b14 a/t. The inner ring/shell should not be removed.
Is he correct? That means I was wrong? ?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,270 Posts
I installed the front inserts, and the car was rear ended in 2009, so i didnt get the other engine mount inserts installed.

the bolt breaking on the trans mount is common on the Manual as well, and has been reported as an issue and when doing the clutch.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,270 Posts
You can see on the picture all the mounts have center inserts, and not using them will wear the insert IMHO, but will make the assembly easier !!

Do you mean the outer shell on the old bushing ?

BTW my inserts for three main mounts are up for sale in the classified section.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts