Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used '96 sentra GLE a couple months ago in august of '08. it was garage kept, only had 31,000 miles and was in good shape. has been running fine since.
I decided to calculate my mileage recently and I got only bout 17.5 mpg. This doesnt sound a lot to me, but this is only my first car and I dont know a lot about cars, or this car even so I may be wrong.
I dont know what the previous owner had replaced, fixed or anything because she passed away soon after i bought the car and hadnt told me much about it. being that there was very little mileage I figure she didnt drive much or have to replace anything.
So I just wanna know is this a bad number for this car? should i be getting more mileage? If I should be, what should I look to replace or check?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope. the only thing ive really done to the car besides driving it was like adding brake fluid, antifreeze, oil change, that kind of stuff. and some cosmetic stuff like put a spoiler and change headlight bulbs. but that wouldnt matter i dont think.
and also its cold and snowy here in NY. idk if the weather would be a concern.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
is your idle relatively high at startup? if your engine is having trouble heating up, it will run rich, meaning the car adds more fuel, to help it warm up. if thats the case, it could be as simple as doing a coolant flush. but it also might reveal that you need a new radiator or heater core.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it doesnt seem like its having trouble heating up. it doesnt really take more than 2 minutes unless its like below freezing outside, then it takes up to maybe 5. what would be considered high at startup?
i was planning on doing a coolant flush once it gets warm out actually. but do you think id have to replace the radiator or heater core even though the mileage is so low and all? i dont think the cars been through much before i bought it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
thats weird i have a 97 gxe with 35k orig from florida now in mn and i have been having the same problem right around 18-19 mpg on high way i was told to check plugs wires rotor, cap all that random stuff and still have not found the answer is your car dripping and oil cause i blew my front main and noticed a small increase wonder why haha is your car an auto or man.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i had the same problem replaced the thermostat and cleaned the heater core because it was blocked and flushed the system and it runs great. i was getting 18-24mpg and now i get 27-32mpg. and i always go WOT in my car

·
Registered
8 Posts
same thing as the idle air control..its right beside the throttle body...easily screws out and just put a new one in...if you take it to a mechanic he could show you where it is in a matter of seconds and give you a price real fast...

·
Registered
8 Posts
oh ha. it plugs into your vehicle and can read codes to tell you whats wrong with your can. it will be under the panel under your steering colum. you will just feel a plug in down there..takes a couple seconds. if you have a checker or an orileys auto parts where you are they will just let you borrow one and probably do it for you and its free....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts