Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed stromung exhaust, hotshot headers and place racing cai on my 200. Between 3000 and 4000 rpms, the car makes an annoying high pitched whining sound. I cant tell if its the exhaust or the headers. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Can you pinpoint where it's coming from and also, what does the whining sound like...err...better question, can you compare it to a common sound of any kind?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i cant really tell where its coming from. It seems more towards the front of the car to me. the only thing i can think of comparing it to is those annoying rattly things people use on new years.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If it sounds like those annoying rattles people use on New Years double check every bolt on the engine you can find, I bet you have a loose one somewhere that is rattling. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't on or near the heatshield.

·
Driver
736 Posts
I remember when I first got the stromung it was rattling against the body bad. I had to go to a muffler shop and have them align it using heat. While the sound was more near the back rear seat, I've had no noises since. I've also read that headers can make what they call a "cricket" sound at around the same rpm you mention. Supposedly it's the flex joint that causes it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
By installing the headers it may have pushed your exhaust back & it maybe hitting again. You might want to check that out.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Niss200SXGTR said:

that isnt good! you should determine all hte sounds!
wish I could, but easier said... anyway, I don't recall hearing it recently (I switched back over to 93 octane) but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it or if the sound really went away (I can only hear it when I'm next to a wall and the sound bounces back). Could it have been pinging?!?!? I've never really heard pinging. I would say my car sounded like a pencil sharpener (not electric :D) but quieter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts