Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is acting up. Filled the gas tank a couple of months but it may have been bad gas. Ate the fuel pump. Installed a new one but it went bad a month later. On my third fuel pump and all seems well except I get random Service Engine Soon light. Code is P0420.
http://www.myautorepairadvice.com/p0420.html
Check Engine Code P0420 Explained - Causes and Fixes
Code P0420 common causes and fixes from a mechanic who's had to diagnose this engine code many times
www.myautorepairadvice.com

It clears but comes back randomly. I am thinking there is a little bit of bad gas in the tank. When the fuel pumps went bad, I got Lean codes. Oil and coolant is good. I have been adding a can of fuel injector cleaner to every tank full (three times now, soon a fourth).

Should I buy the next higher octane ?
Is there anything that can get rid of the bad gas now besides dropping the tank and cleaning ?

I think all I need to do is wait and let it burn out.

Any other ideas ? TIA - JR

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,026 Posts
If you filled it over a couple of months ago, I don't see how it can still be that fill up with suspect gas quality. I can understand trying to change the fuel pump to see if that fixed the issue, but 3 pumps tell me that is not the issue. I would be more inclined to think about an O2 sensor problem. Could you be getting lean codes because of an air leak?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you filled it over a couple of months ago, I don't see how it can still be that fill up with suspect gas quality. I can understand trying to change the fuel pump to see if that fixed the issue, but 3 pumps tell me that is not the issue. I would be more inclined to think about an O2 sensor problem. Could you be getting lean codes because of an air leak?
Thank you. I will check the O2 sensor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts