Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my ball joints last year and all was well. Even got it aligned and sears approved it. Today I changed the oil and inspected the wheels since I noticed it making a shaky noise like a loose wheel. Boths sides have little play. Not sure if this is because I bought the cheapest brand of ball joints. Anyone else ran into this? I jacked up the car, I put a hand on top of the tire and one on bottom and I can move it maybe 1 or 2 mm.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I changed my ball joints last year and all was well. Even got it aligned and sears approved it. Today I changed the oil and inspected the wheels since I noticed it making a shaky noise like a loose wheel. Boths sides have little play. Not sure if this is because I bought the cheapest brand of ball joints. Anyone else ran into this? I jacked up the car, I put a hand on top of the tire and one on bottom and I can move it maybe 1 or 2 mm.
odd, no body have any thoughts?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,279 Posts
Wheels bearings ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
wheel bearings are good thing to cheack. my driver rear side one was making a horible nosie and had a lot of play. just ask the auto parts store if they well press the new bearings in for you. i know pep boys dose and Napa should too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wheel bearings are good thing to cheack. my driver rear side one was making a horible nosie and had a lot of play. just ask the auto parts store if they well press the new bearings in for you. i know pep boys dose and Napa should too.
Actually talked to a few guys and they said the same thing you guys said. Anyone have any part numbers? Advance can't press them in for me, so I guess I'll be looking at PEPBOYS or NAPA. Will they press them in? Been a good car. Weird thing is, the bears make no noise.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Ok, GXE, 11 yrs old and 110K miles, both front wheel beairng Ok when replaced the CV boots.
SE-R 11 yrs old, 105K miles, passenger side wheel bearing bad when replaced CV boots.
Splines rusty, says to me it has been in deep water, daughter not owning up, could have been son in law.....
Was NOT noisy, Subaru was noisy, but did hear some lose clanking noise over bumps.
BTW the water went over the hood of the Subaru on passenger side, wheel bearing died about 3 months later, so i know it was water that time.

purchased bearing and seals from Autozone, took to machine shop.
bearing is ~ $30, seals ~ 15, Machine shop ~45, not sure now if 40, 45 or 50
They completely mangled the dust shield so tell them just to toss it.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
because of the cost i tried to get one from a wreaking yard, three sentra's 200 SX's
ALL three wheel bearings were bad on passenger side, worse than mine !!!
You cant tell till you get the brakes off when there is no wheel on the car.
Also if its really bad you cant replace only the bearing, the hub and spindle get damaged.

·
Registered
61 Posts
:balls::balls:The rear are a whloe assembly the front have to be pressed in. My rear diver side one was $52.00 something form napa. they have a standard and a primiume for $80.00. Pepboys well press in the front one when you buy the bearing for $32.00...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, GXE, 11 yrs old and 110K miles, both front wheel beairng Ok when replaced the CV boots.
SE-R 11 yrs old, 105K miles, passenger side wheel bearing bad when replaced CV boots.
Splines rusty, says to me it has been in deep water, daughter not owning up, could have been son in law.....
Was NOT noisy, Subaru was noisy, but did hear some lose clanking noise over bumps.
BTW the water went over the hood of the Subaru on passenger side, wheel bearing died about 3 months later, so i know it was water that time.

purchased bearing and seals from Autozone, took to machine shop.
bearing is ~ $30, seals ~ 15, Machine shop ~45, not sure now if 40, 45 or 50
They completely mangled the dust shield so tell them just to toss it.
$22 per side and $30 to get them pressed in. Not too bad. I'll find out saturday when I do the job. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
$52....well that's a lot more reasonable than around here !!!
did that include the seals ??

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$52....well that's a lot more reasonable than around here !!!
did that include the seals ??
the $22.00 per side is the cheap ones, good enough for me (161k currently and it's starting to rust...LOL)

Pepboys wants $30 per side to press them, but I know a mechanic (back yard) that will do it for $25 for both sides.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
If you are in the Rust belt he may have a tough time.
The shop that did mine complained about the bearing being rusted in.
The splines in the hub were rusted in and I had to use a puller to get the axle out of the hub.
I still dont understand how your parts are so cheap, i paid about $15 just for the two seals ( per side )
I checked Autozone and O'Rielly's

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are in the Rust belt he may have a tough time.
The shop that did mine complained about the bearing being rusted in.
The splines in the hub were rusted in and I had to use a puller to get the axle out of the hub.
I still dont understand how your parts are so cheap, i paid about $15 just for the two seals ( per side )
I checked Autozone and O'Rielly's
I called NAPA and got the cheap versions quoted. Everyone else quoted teh higher end models ($50 to $60 per side) but you have to ask for the cheaper ones. Seals are usually a part of the wheel bearing as far as I know.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Yes on my Subaru,
No, the seals are separate on the B14

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes on my Subaru,
No, the seals are separate on the B14
Seems it was the CV joint or most of the problem it seems so far. Pulled the wheel off the drivers side and it was shot. Just put a new axle in, much better now. Bearings may be next but who knows.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
when you were replacing the axle did you feel the wheel bearings ?
it should be smooth with some resistance, if it has noticeable play or if its lose and spins freely then its shot.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
when you were replacing the axle did you feel the wheel bearings ?
it should be smooth with some resistance, if it has noticeable play or if its lose and spins freely then its shot.
That's what is weird. A couple of weeks ago, both wheels had play. After I changed the drivers side axle and checked, no play at all. Still shakes. Might take it to sears for an alignment and see what they say.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts