Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a few cars that have a side exit exhaust. I did it to mine by using a 30" cherry bomb and 2.5" piping and got rid of my cat. does anybody else's car backfire really loud at higher RPM's?

·
Registered
31 Posts
niss240ser said:
I noticed a few cars that have a side exit exhaust. I did it to mine by using a 30" cherry bomb and 2.5" piping and got rid of my cat. does anybody else's car backfire really loud at higher RPM's?
Normally just means you're running to rich...not really bad for you car..but can be illeagal...

-Tobin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, as far as having no Cats on the car, illegal in the 50 US states, and from what I've heard, BIG TIME illegal in California. Here in Va. I could reject you for having no cats. In California, I think it's a big fine along with the court fees and forcing you into putting your cat back on.

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
well first off, you are loosing power because your exhaust is way to big which wont help backfiring.. plus taking off the cats will make it worst.... you aren't gainin anything from a side exhaust, especially that big

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's not that big..it's only 2.5" He won't be loseing any power from that... If you're talking about the 30" That's the length of the Cherry bomb..

And if he lives in Canada..he doesn't need a cat..so depend on where you live bro.

-Tobin

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Tobin said:
It's not that big..it's only 2.5" He won't be loseing any power from that... If you're talking about the 30" That's the length of the Cherry bomb..

And if he lives in Canada..he doesn't need a cat..so depend on where you live bro.

-Tobin
yeah but from what i under stand i think 2 1/4 is close to being righ tmaybe 2" but most people say get a high flow cat, 28" glass pack for resinator could hve the length wrong, and any muffler you want thats not redicously big.. and i think its gotta be mandrel bent
www.sentra.net they have recomendation and dyno results on best exauhst

·
Registered
612 Posts
Put the original emissions equipment back on the car and do the piping from there. Should eliminate all of your problems. Besides, the CAT doesn't really take that much power from the engine. Oh, and I don't know about where you are but in Texas, the exhaust MUST exit behind the passenger cabin (which includes the trunk) or it's illegal. I'd check with the local officials before doing any more crazy mods.

·
Registered
31 Posts
By reading stuff Americans are really Strict about Emessions...In canada most of the provinces do have Emession tests..but here in newfoundland. There is nothing..I could drive around with no muffler..I've seen done before on a Turbo Colt...it was free flow..right back..and he never got pulled over..he ocassionally had flames shooting out :p and never gets hasseled...

-Tobin

·
Registered
574 Posts
Backfiring is normal for an exhaust that big with no cat. Is this on an NA/Turbo ga/sr motor? 2.5 is too big for an na ga but good for a mild cammed na sr. 2.5 is good for a turbo ga though. Many people have had good results with side exits on sr powered cars. Hass autoworks is now selling a side exit exhaust setup, makes more power over a conventional setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
2.5" is WAAAYYY too big for the GA16. 2.0'' will give you the most power.

For an SR, you'll typically want a 2.25". I just got myself a 2.5" stromung, I'll be running a cat for now (I may get a bigger diameter cat later on). 2.5" may be a bit too big, but I have some plans ahead.

My car is n/a sr20 with hotshot intake and that is it. the exhaust is mandrel bent and i live in OR.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
niss240ser said:
My car is n/a sr20 with hotshot intake and that is it. the exhaust is mandrel bent and i live in OR.
but the thing is, you're practically dumping out the side. Backfiring is mostly due to running rich or cold, or bad plugs, however, a side pipe with no cat and just a cherry bomb, it's still a recipe for excessive noise and backfires.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tobin said:

-Tobin
ummmmm .... yah , no dice on the Canada comment bro ... Mayb in Newfy land u can drive w/o a cat but in most provinces u gotta have it on to b inspected , once every 2 years u gotta do it ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts