Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird problem here. I was trying to install a back up camera in my '07 Altima S and everything went well (Didn't even have to drill a hole through the trunk lid to pass the camera wire! ) until I tried to find the back up light power wire in the trunk. I turned on the lights and checked the various wires in the plastic plug in the trunk and found one with power, but - it only shows 3.4 volts. I pulled apart the plug and checked the voltage without the light attached and it still only shows 3.4 volts. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me and I was wondering if anyone else has found this. At this point, it looks like I would have to run a 12 volt wire from some other power source and hook it and the back up light wire to a relay so that I would get 12 volts to the camera when the back up lights are on. Or am I missing something (Which, in my case, is quite possible!)?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
weird voltage problem

Well, I still don't know why but - I have discovered an answer to my problem. I happened across a video of a guy also installing a backup camera in a 4th gen Altima. I noticed that he tapped into the power wire for the driver's side backup light instead of the passenger side light as I was doing. So - as I had nothing to lose by trying, I pulled back the left side trunk liner, put on the backup lights and, lo and behold, I was getting 12 volts!! Although both lights seem to be equally bright (To my old eyes, anyway.) the left side gets a full 12 volts while the right side seems to only get 3.4. No idea what's happening here, but at least I'll have my power wire when I try to finish my installation tomorrow Too late and way too cold to continue in my unheated garage tonight at -7 C. (or 19 F. for our non-metric friends). Tomorrow is supposed to hit -4 C or a toasty 25 F. so I'll continue then.

Andy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
1 Participant
darthandy
Nissan Forum
Nissan Forums is the go to place to talk about your favorite Nissan model, including the Rogue, Maxima, Altima and even sports cars like the 370Z and 200SX.
Full Forum Listing