Nissan Forum banner

Back Pressure

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  psshhgoesmysr20 
91SERHondaKiller said:
I put on a MagnaFlow cat-back exuast with 2 1/4 " piping on a while ago and was wondering if it would give me enough back pressure to give me a horse power gain. Somebody told me that some tips dont have enough back pressure and can actually create a loss in power, can anybody help me with this?
Absolute horse doodoo! I have a custom 2.25" stainless catback piping with a Magnaflow SS 2.25" muffler and don't have any issues whatsoever!

If you installed larger than a 2.5" cat-back on your NA car, then I can see you having an issue. A standard 2" to 2.5" straight through exhaust is fine with your NA. Especially with your mods.

Your power loss has to be from something else going wrong.

gottabfast said:
... If you put a 2.5" cat in the middle of the 2.25" piping exhaust, theoretically you'll have a power loss because of the relationship between pressure, volume and flow velocity...stick with a 2.25" cat for a constant exhaust stream velocity.
What? :rolleyes: Theory doesn't always seem to be correct way to do things.

The OEM Nissan stock catalytic has a 2.5" inlet/outlet. It is quite substantial for the basic bolt-on mods and even basic turbo upgrades.

Stick with an OEM or an OEM direct bolt on replacement with the same diameter inlet/outlet as OEM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.